Chapter 14

I feel nervous as we watch the sonographer scan my stomach, Chris's hand clasping my own as she runs the scanner around and then eventually turns the screen to us. "So here we have baby".

We both look at the screen. There are little arms, little legs, head, a spine...

Holy crap. That's a baby...a whole human.

"We're measuring at thirteen weeks, almost fourteen". The sonographer confirms, "and this..." we suddenly hear thumping and see her pointing at the screen, "is the heartbeat".

I look to Chris who is literally staring in awe at the screen still.

We made this...

"You ok?" I smile as I can see he's looking a little stunned.

He nods. "Yeah...it's just more real now".

"We'll get these pictures printed off for you and then we'll arrange your next couple of scans and get them all set up".

"Thanks" I smile, and she prints them, popping them into an envelope and passing it to us.

"Congratulations, right, let me give you something to wipe the gel off and then we'll book you in for the next couple of scans..."

Both of us are smiling all the way home, and when we get back, we just can't stop staring at the pictures. they're quite clear and as we lay on the bed with Dodger slumped at our feet, Chris's hand rests on my stomach. "I can't believe that there's someone in there". He says, still in a bit of a daze.

He's on cloud nine, and nothing or no one is going to bring him or me down from this.

"And we made he or she". I say, taking his hand in mine.

In a way this is bittersweet. I don't have my parents to share the news with. They'd have been over the moon, and Chris? I have no idea whether he'll send a picture of the scan to his mum. I know he won't be putting it on the family WhatsApp that's for sure.

"Will you send a screenshot of it to your mum?" I ask, snuggling down a little more with him as he turns the TV on for us.

"Maybe. I don't know" He says, some indecisiveness to his tone. "I mean don't get me wrong, I wanna, but if it's just gonna cause grief then I might hold off".

"You need to send it to her. She'll be heartbroken if you don't".

He sighs. "I will later, you hungry? Thirsty?"

"Sleepy" I yawn, nuzzling into him. "Might nap".

"Mmmm good call" He settles down a bit more and holds me until I drift off.

**

Chris does send a picture of the scan to his mum, but no one else. No one else has offered their congratulations either and I can tell it's upset him. He's been quiet the past few days, but I haven't pushed for him to say anything.

He's already said what needs to be said - and if the family doesn't like it? It's something they need to deal with.

I come down one morning and find Scott sitting in the kitchen talking to Chris as he makes some breakfast. Great, I didn't know he was coming some this is an impromptu visit. Usually if he does he stays for a few days so this is going to be tense.

"Hi". I say quietly as both of them look my way. Think I'll grab something to eat and make myself scarce.

"You ok gorgeous?" Chris asks, watching me take some fruit and yogurt.

"Yeah I'm good, I'll leave you two alone..."

"Fal it's ok, you can stay here..." he now says.

I shake my head. "I'll just make things worse, we all know that". I try not to tear up (stupid hormones), and quickly retreat, hearing Chris now tell his brother that he could've said good morning to me.

The guys are apparently doing some kind of question thing for Jimmy Kimmel, so they'll be on video link as they couldn't make it to the studio this time around.

A couple of hours later, there's a knock on the door and Scott pokes his head around. "I was gonna make some lunch, you want anything?" He asks, seemingly extending an olive branch.

I look up from where I'm watching a Grace Kelly movie and shake my head. "Thanks, I'm ok".

Instead of leaving, he now comes in and shuts the door. "Chris showed me the scan picture..." he's smiling. "And did I cry? Yeah...and did he cry? Pretty much!"

I smile. "Believe me I've done a lot of it".

"I know and I just wanna apologise and stuff...I think everyone's just shocked and after what happened, they're thinking of Chris".

Yeah, but it would sure be nice if they could think of how it's affecting me in my current condition.

"It's ok". I shrug, even if the apology is a half arse one, I'll still take it, purely because if we have an ally in Scott then the other members of the family may start to come around. "I kinda deserve to be treated like dirt".

"No you don't. You admitted your mistakes from the past, but that's now what it is...past. We just need my Mom and sisters to see that".

"Honestly, I don't see them coming around to this anytime soon"

"But what about stuff like parties? Thanksgiving? Christmas..." he says.

"Then Chris can join you guys with the baby, and I'll stay away if it keeps the peace. Look, your mum is worried I'm gonna up and run with the baby and then demand a shit load of child support. But know this - I'd never ask Chris for anything, not for me or our baby. I haven't so far, and I don't plan on starting now".

Scott nods. "And I believe you", he extends his hand for me to shake, "friends?"

"Would be nice if it were family but if that's what you want..."

"Oh god yeah!" He laughs and then just hugs me. "But don't worry ok?"

I sigh. "I'll try not to".

"Honestly? Once the baby comes things will change, you'll see". He sounds adamant.

"I hope so. I don't want to be the one now breaking a family apart when I've already caused enough upset".