Chapter 5

To say that I'm shitting myself is an understatement.

I haven't spoken to Chris since last week when he called, but after he told be about the whole hang up thing I freaked out and simply said "see you next week!" And ended the call.

Why am I such an idiot?

Why am I so nervous?

Because you hurt him Fallon...you turned him down.

I couldn't even muster the courage to even text and apologise, now he probably does think I'm a real bitch. So much so that I'm surprised he hasn't sent word to cancel our meeting.

If it's awkward today then how can we possibly pull this off and work together?

Because you're a fucking actress! It's just like any other role!

It's not though, especially as there is one scene where Andy and Laurie basically start having sex in a walk on wardrobe.

That better not be the scene he wants to go over today...

No. Of course it won't be.

Currently I'm sat in the car on the way to his house, staring out and thinking that perhaps we would've lived here together? He always wanted to be close to his family. The last time I was here properly was the last Christmas we spent with them. His mother was always so kind to me, I wonder what she thinks now that the news is out we're working together?

The bitch who broke her sons heart.

He must have told her. He tells her everything. I'll always remember that.

The car turns and heads down a very long driveway

Wow...

He wasn't kidding when he said he literally had everything we spoke of...his home is beautiful, out of the way just how he likes it. Sure you can see the land from
The road but this place? Living here by himself? He must get a little lonely.

No doubt Scott is sometimes in residence, the two were always close and from what I've seen, they still are. I suppose if he's here today it'll kind of break the ice, but even then I'm gonna be under scrutiny.

I don't blame him. His family have probably called me everything under the sun.

I get out and see the door open. Chris standing there watching me. I've brought a weekend bag as I'm staying in an hotel tonight before heading back tomorrow.

"Hey". He smiles and I note a dog stood by his side, wagging its bushy tail excitedly.

Instantly I feel at ease. He's not being awkward. "Hi" I say and we hug.

He smells amazing.

Immediately his dog is wanting in on the action and is trying to jump up. "Woah, Dodge, down! Fal doesn't want you in her face". He chuckles and calms him.

"It's ok, he's a cutie, what's his name again?"

"Dodger."

I crouch down and he's on me straight away, sniffing trying to lick me. "Hello gorgeous". I grin and ruffle his fur.

"I didn't get that kind of welcome but he does?" Chris smirks.

"What can I say? Those puppy dog eyes are irresistible".

Chris has always been a dog lover. He's always had the equivalent energy of a golden retriever so we all used to say, and probably still does. At least he's got a nice little companion here with him...amongst other past ones...

Stop Fallon.

"I mean if you guys wanna be left alone..." he suggests.

I smirk. "I don't mind sharing..."

He gives a shy smile, "you want coffee?"

"Please".

"Still two sugars?"

I bite lip and nod. "You remembered".

He nods, "I remember everything, you always liked to stick two in before going for an audition because it calmed your nerves".

I feel a lump in my throat, "yeah...it still does".

"Then again I can talk, mr anxiety over here". He says as he now starts the machine.

"How's that going?" I ask. He's always been like it, even when we were together.

He shrugs it off like it's no big deal. "Good days and shit days. Red carpets tend to be something that's a little daunting, depends on my day..."

"And whether you've had a drink?" I throw him a knowing look.

"Yeah that too". He makes a face. "Scarlett says hi by the way. I told her we were working together".

"How is she?"

I only met Scarlett a couple of times when Chris and I were together, but we always got on. We also crossed paths a few years after the split but she was cool with me. If she wasn't then I'd probably know.

"She's good, just signed on for the Black Widow solo film so she's gonna be busy".

"Must be weird having finished playing Captain America and now taking on a different kind of role, especially playing a parent - I can't tell whether I should be happy we're getting older".

He grins as he brings my coffee over and chucks Dodger a treat. "It's a nice change, a challenge more so. After playing that for ten years it's time to move on".

"You got anything else lined up other than this and the one you've just done?" I ask.

"Got some talks about other things, but both Avengers and Knives Out are just some of the main focus this year, with press and all".

"Films out soon isn't it?" I ask

"Next month...geez" he makes a face.

I sip my coffee. "So do you die?"

"Can't say".

"Shame, I wanted to be prepared". I say and see him shake his head to himself.

"Little bird told me that you've been approached by Marvel".

I sit back and look at him, "and would that little bird be Alice talking to Megan perhaps?"

"Maybe. They've kept in touch"

"Well after Graham Norton throwing us under the bus, they've had to be on crowd control". I state.

I don't think it's been pretty on my side if I'm honest. Even in recent interviews I've done, they've been bringing it up, so much that Alice has now instructed them not to ask about it.

"It did catch me off guard if it's any consolation- but I think we handled it pretty well".

"Did you know I'd be there?" I now ask.

He shakes his head. "When I saw you in the green room backstage, that was the first I knew of it".

"Sorry if I looked horrified, I just couldn't tell whether someone was setting me up, hidden cameras and all". I apologise.

"I admit, I needed a moment - I kinda thought the same". He now looks at me. "I don't want the past to be an issue for us, and I'd like us to start over - as friends if that isn't too much for you? Are we cool?"

I nod at this, knowing that maybe it's the best solution for our situation. "We're cool".