Chapter 12

The next few weeks that pass go slower than I imagine. Never have I wanted a film to end this quickly, but I get on with it and do my job.

Perhaps I should slow down a little once the baby is here. I've been doing a lot of thinking regarding my career lately and whereas before I was on the path to making a name for myself and rising, I now feel the opposite.

I'm not getting any younger and neither is Chris. To still be in this business at my age is a god send, but maybe it is time to rethink, step back a little and if roles do come along? Make sure they're smaller. I still stand by not wanting to spend most of my time away from my child. I don't want to miss anything. I know that Chris feels the same way too. 

"Hey you" He says softly as I get to the front door where he's waiting for me, giving me a deep kiss and then his hand goes to my stomach. "God, I can't believe this is happening". He hasn't stopped smiling since we first spoke about it. He always asks over our facetimes how I am and if I'm eating ok. I haven't really had any symptoms as such. There was one occasion where I felt quite faint on set, and we had to pause for an hour while I ate and drank something. I simply told them it was my blood sugar that was low. 

"I know" I don't let go from where I'm still clung to him. "Have you told your mum?" I now ask anxiously. 

"She's erm...well she's here..."He says and then sees my face. "Fal, we need to do this together". 

"You said to leave your family to you..." I begin to stress. 

He nods. "I know, but ideally we need to be together to show them that this is serious. It's happening whether they like it or not".

Now I feel sick, not because of pregnancy, but the fact that Lisa is here and about to raise hell once she hears about this. 

Chris takes my bags and puts them in the bedroom, while I go and freshen up, then finding him and Lisa in the living room. "Hello Fallon". She greets me as I walk in. 

"Hi" I say quietly. "Sorry, I'm a little tired. Jet lag". 

She nods her understanding. "How was your filming?" 

I'm really not sure whether she's trying to make an effort for Chris's sake or her own. But I act normal and nod, flopping down next to him. "It dragged if I'm honest, couldn't wait to be back here". 

"I'd have thought you'd have wanted to spend time with your parents while you were over there" She enquires. 

I go quiet for a moment. "My mum passed away around four years ago...and I lost my dad last year". It's been tough, but I've just had to accept that it is what it is. 

"Oh...I'm sorry, I didn't realise". She smiles weakly.

I brush it off. "It's fine". 

Chris now clears his throat, breaking the awkwardness that's fallen even more over us. "Ma, we've erm...we've got something we need to tell you". 

She looks from me to Chris a little intrigued. "What?" 

"Fallon's pregnant". 

Lisa stares a little dumbfounded at us at the moment and then blinks with a slow "What?" escaping her lips. 

He nods. "She's pregnant. We've only recently found out". I now feel his hand take mine and squeeze it. 

Her hand goes to her mouth in shock with a small "Oh my god" that I can't quite decide whether it's in good context or bad. "How far along?" 

"I don't know for sure...we found out a few weeks ago..." 

I'm cut off, "and you didn't think to tell me!" She throws a look to Chris. 

"We're telling you now. I wanted to wait until Fal was home and we'd had the time to come around to the news ourselves. Sure it's a shock, but we'd said we were making a go of things again". 

"Making a go! Chris! You've barely been back together for a few months and she's already pregnant!" The shock in her voice is apparent. "Did you both plan this?" 

"No" I shake my head, "it was in the long-term plan, but we didn't just get back together and say 'hey, shall we have a kid?'" 

Lisa runs her hands down her face and sighs. "Is this what you want? What you both want?" 

"Ma..." Chris starts. "You know what I want". 

"And what about you?" She now directs the question to me. 

By now, I feel shaky. She's angry but hiding it behind a calm exterior. If I were to leave the room for them to talk then she'd explode. I nod. "I didn't know what I wanted when I was younger. And I admit I made mistakes. I hurt Chris and in doing so I hurt myself. But I do want this now, and I regret the choice I made before. Chris knows that". 

Lisa nods and then looks to her son. "Can we talk?" 

He sighs. "Sure, but you already know what I'm gonna say". 

"I'll erm...I think I might go and lay down..." I say, feeling uncomfortable and unwanted. Even the news of something that should be so great isn't enough to make Lisa warm to me again. 

I'll never be accepted. 

I try to hide my upset and quickly retreat down the hallway. 

"Really mom? You could at least try to be happy" I hear Chris say. 

"Happy?" She sighs. "I really hope that you two know what you're doing. I'm worried". 

"About what!" 

"She could leave again, and this time with a child? You'd never see him or her again, she'd want money..." 

I hear him go 'uuuuugh' at this. "Mom, whether you and the rest of the family like it or not, Fallon and I have another chance to get things right. We're having the family we want and as I'm sure you'd have guessed by now? I'm asking her to marry me again. Sure this is all years too late, but we're making up for it. She's trying!  She just wants to feel accepted and yet you're not even giving her a chance". 

"Chris". Lisa says sharply. "I accept you can make your own decisions. I can accept that I'm having another grandchild. I'm just shocked by how soon it is - but Fallon? It's going to take a lot for me to trust her again".  Another sigh. "I just don't want any hurt to come from this. Of course I want you settled and happy. If Fallon is your choice, then fine, but like I said. It's going to take a lot". 

"She is my choice. You can relay that to everyone. We're keeping things private. No media or anything will know. That's not my choice, I'd happily shout it from the damn rooftops, but Fallon wants this to be about us, about our family, and that includes everyone. She wants this as a private affair so we can all enjoy it without being splashed across the gossip pages". 

"Well Megan and whoever Fallon has for a publicist will have their work cut out for them". 

"That's their job. Would you rather we had the stress of paps trying to get pictures of us? Of our baby when he or she arrives. It's dangerous". 

"I know that...and I suppose I should be grateful that she is conciderate". 

Chris's voice is firm. "She is. Please just try and get along with her?" 

"I'm just in shock that's all. It's gonna take time to sink in". 

"Well you've got at least 8 more months for it to". 

And on that note, I quietly go into the bedroom and close the door, a few silent tears sliding down my face. Dodger comes and lays with me, snuggling close while I scratch his ears. 

I caused her distrust, and even with our baby I won't earn it again, no matter what she says. I can only hope she comes around to the idea, because even though I have Chris to support me through all this, I have never felt so alone.