Chapter 7

I feel more relaxed when we do the table read through, probably because I'm not alone and with Chris, nor are there any questions about us raised or judgement. We simply nail it.

The weeks pass before we begin filming. It's Boston based, but we're also heading to Mexico to film some scenes where the family are on holiday and on some other ones in the studio that is the interior of the courtroom and the Barber home. That's where we currently are., heading out to location in a couple of weeks.

I'm sat in my trailer one morning, having had hair and makeup turn me into the mess that is Laurie Barber, flicking through the script when there's a knock on the door.

"Morning Fal, thought I'd bring you a coffee". Chris comes in, and yes - Daddy Barber he is.

Even though we've spent literally a whole week with one another like this, I almost forget to speak and then do. "Oh, thanks you didn't have to do that".

"It's caramel latte, your favourite".

"You remembered". I smile.

He nods. "Well, don't you just look very...mom? Today". He tries to find the right word.

"Quiet daddy" I smirk. I could have so much fun with this.

"Ok, yeah that sounded hotter than it should". He admits with a grin.

We had to do some photography for the 'family' pictures that appear in the background. One of them was Chris, Jaeden and me sat on the steps of the house were filming the exterior of and then a couple of others, including one where it was just of Chris and I. One legitimate picture of us back when we were younger and were together can be seen too. Chris had kept a few and gave them to the prop department to use. It just makes it look more authentic, but it's also a little bit painful to look at.

Before we started shooting we discussed the approach we'd play as Andy and Laurie - with Chris suggesting that we should just imagine how we'd have been if we'd have actually ended up having children.

It was kind of an 'ouch' moment, but also a good thing to suggest. I know he never meant it in a snide way, but it's also made me wonder what could have been. Would we have had a child by now? Maybe even two or three? He always wanted a big family.

"Ready for this afternoon?" He now asks.

Ah yes. The dreaded sex scene. Thankfully it's a closed set.

"You mean us having pretend sex in front of people when we've had the real thing before? Yeah great". I smirk at him.

"We gonna do it as it says in the script or just go for whatever?"

"I think we should throw them off and improvise just a little". I smirk.

I'm sure we can pull this off. We've seen one another in worse ways.

"Chris, they're ready for you". His assistant now pokes his head around the door and I say I'll see him on set before sitting back and drinking my coffee. It was sweet of him to bring it, and the fact that he still remembers what my favourite is?

I kind of want to cry.

**

We film a couple of scenes and then break for lunch, although I don't really eat anything knowing that in around an hour or two, Chris will be ripping my clothes off in a wardrobe and slamming me up against a wall. 

I stab at some salad when the director brings over a woman. "Guys, this is our intimacy co-ordinator, she's gonna be going through the scene with you and prepping..." 

"We don't need one" Chris says a little too quickly, both the director and co-ordinator looking a little taken aback by his bluntness. I honestly have no idea what the hell to even say, but now the co-ordinator is now trying to explain her reasons. 

"It's simply to keep you guys safe during the scene..." 

He snorts. "Fallon and I have done this before, safe and unsafe. She's method, she prefers the real thing". There's a smug look on his expression.

This motherfucker knows what he's doing.

"Oh my god, Chris" I mutter and bury my face in my arms against the table. "Look, he's right, we used to date, we've seen it all, we probably don't need any guidance in like the nicest way possible. However..." I now say as I see Chris open his mouth, "we are more than happy to take any advice and such if it doesn't quite go as you guys would like it to". 

The pair looked stumped but leave us to finish lunch. 

I then turn to him. "Seriously? Method?" 

"Well I wasn't lying" He says with a devious look. "You honestly think we need a woman to keep us safe during fake sex? Geez Fal, I've had you in every fucking position in every damn room of your apartment" He states, "If this is gonna look real then I don't want some half-deflated basketball shoved between us". 

This is the weirdest but sexiest conversation I've ever had...

At this point I'm all for just doing full on porn if it makes it look real enough.

"Ok, you have a point..." 

We have to get into hair and make up for a top up and then meet on set sometime later, ready to shoot the scene in question. 

I'm a professional.

It's fake sex. 

You're an idiot and it's gonna feel real. 

Chris says his line about Andy taking Jacob fishing and suddenly I feel like this is what it could have been like, him suggesting taking our kid to places to spend quality time together. I simply stare at him, then remembering I have a line. "C'mere". I beckon, hoping to God that my Boston accent is on point for this. I'm fully aware that I don't feel like I'm acting anymore, especially when our lips meet and we begin to shrug off clothes, pulling apart so I can help him lift his top over his head. 

This is not acting...

I know it's not. 

This is very much real...at least for me it is, and I'm starting to think that for Chris it is too. 

Our lips meet frantically again, and he now backs me up against the wall, hoisting me against it before burying his face into my chest. 

"CUT!". 

FUCK. 

Chris looks up at me as I look down at him, and he quickly lowers me back down to the ground, my assistant now coming over with a robe while the director is praising us for our performance. 

"I need some air" I quickly say and hurry out from the set, retreating around the back of my trailer so no one can see me hiding. 

Nor can they see the tears that are now falling. 

"Fallon?" Chris calls and I peek around the side of the trailer. 

He sees me and I hide myself behind it again. Now as he rounds the corner, we both look at one another, the pain, hurt and confusion all showing on our faces. 

"Why did that feel real?" I now ask shakily. 

He just stares at me before answering my question. 

"Because it was".