Chapter 4

Flashback

I watch as my parents are sat sitting laughing with Chris, a scene I never thought I'd see considering that they've hated every single one of my boyfriends...except for him.

They've come over to New York to visit me, and currently we're all in our new apartment sitting around and drinking after having dinner with them. They've met Chris before in the last three years that we've been together, and even though he couldn't spend it with us for long last time, this time he's making up for it.

I smile to myself. I really am a lucky girl.

"Well, for once you haven't chosen a waste of space". Mum now comes over. "He really is lovely Fallon, very charming".

I know I gush. "He's great isn't he?"

"Dontou think he might..." she holds her hand up to signify a proposal.

"Oh, god no! I mean we've talked about the possibility but we're both busy". I shake my head, pushing that thought from her head. I am so not ready to get married, as much as I love Chris I'm happy as we are for the moment.

Now

Little did I know that three years after the conversation happened, he'd be asking and I'd be saying no.

Getting up, I look at the press releases that Alice has sent over.

Chris Evans and Fallon St James set to play devoted parents in new Apple TV adaption

Fallon St James confirmed for 'Defending Jacob' role.

Ex lovers Evans and St James starring in new TV drama

Captain America and Doctor Who star lead line up for Apple TV's most anticipated drama.

And that's only some of them.

Daddy Barber

The message pops up on screen. Fuck I forgot I put him down as that.

Daddy Barber: Think we could meet before the table read to go through some scenes. There's a few that we could really play with. Chris .

I message him back. Sure, when you free?

Daddy Barber: I'm free Tuesday next week, if not I can get them to move my schedule around.

I'll check mine and get back to you. Hope you're ok. I message and then wonder why I sound like such an idiot.

Of course he's ok. He's been doing ok ever since I set him free all those years ago.

Daddy Barber: I'm good, are you?

This is fucking painful.

I don't have time to text back though, as I almost drop the phone when the name Daddy Barber flashes up on screen.

He's calling me...

I cautiously slide the bar to answer and try to act normal. "Hi..."

"Hey, you alright?" Chris asks, Boston accent filling my ears.

"Yeah. I'm good...are you?"

"Yeah...well, you asked me that already..." he points out with a small laugh.

I groan. "Guess I did, sorry..."

"For what?" He asks.

"Forgetting that I'd already asked how you were".

He snorts, "like you have to apologise for that Fal. You sure you're ok though?"

"Yeah, I'm fine...so...lines..." I try to make conversation. "I'm just getting my schedule up so I can see what's happening".

I pull up the schedule for the next month and check it over. "I have a meeting I can easily move to another day next Tuesday".

"You don't have to move shit around for me".

"I want to". I quickly tell him and send an email to my assistant to reschedule. "Too late, just rescheduled it".

He lets out a soft chuckle. "You sure your team are gonna be ok with that?"

"It's nothing to them. Anyway how did you wanna do this?"

"You still in New York?" He asks.

I sit back, "I am while I'm here. Most of the time I'm back in the UK. You still in Boston?"

"How'd you guess?"

"You we're always a home bird. Remember when you told me we'd have a big house there with acres of land, a dog or two..." I smile at the memory.

He's silent for a moment as he's most likely recalling the same thing in this head. "Yeah...yeah I remember everything". He says softly. "Got all that...just didn't have you with it".

I feel the lump in my throat, but swallow it before I say anything else. "I mean, I can always come to Boston, it's not a problem".

"You sure?" He asks, a little surprised I'm offering let alone agreeing to going through scenes with him.

"Yeah. I could use a change of scenery". I tell him, even if I was only there just the other week for our meeting as well as the read through with Jaeden.

He accepts this. "Alright then, anyway I need to go. I'll see you next week. Let me know the plans".

"Sure thing". I say, "see you next week". I wait and realise he hasn't hung up. "Chris?"

"Yeah?"

"Sorry I thought you were gonna hang up".

"I thought you were gonna?"

I laugh lightly. "I don't wanna be the bitch that hangs up first".

"Yeah well neither do I!" He laughs, "ok, on the count of three, we both hang up right?"

"Right".

"One...two...three!" He counts down and my finger hovers over the end call button, seeing he's still on the line. "Ok this is getting ridiculous". He states, still finding the whole thing humorous.

I have a huge smile on my face right now. "Come on, this is your chance to hang up on me Evans!"

He laughs again, and suddenly it feels just like how it was when we were younger, caught up in one another. Then he finally speaks.

"I mean I've been hung up on you, but I'd never hang up on you St James..."