Chapter 9

Lisa looks from me to Chris and then says calmly to her son, "I think we need to talk" and then turns and heads into the kitchen before he can even say anything.

"Head on down to the bedroom, the last door straight ahead".

"Chris..."

"No Fallon, it's ok. Don't worry I'll talk to her".

It's the icy reception I knew would happen at some point. I just wasn't expecting it to be this evening. I leave my bag in the hall and go down to the bedroom, Chris going to speak to Lisa.

This was a mistake. The whole idea that perhaps we could give things another try seemed to just be a dream really. It's my fault, it's all my fault. Once again my stupid feelings got in the way and blinded me as to what could actually happen. I don't blame his family for hating me, because I hate me too.

I walk down the hall and hear them talking, listening in on what's being said.

"I don't care! Do you not remember what happened?" Lisa is saying sharply to him.

"It was years ago Ma, we've moved on..."

"She's only in it for herself. She was last time. Don't you remember the hours you spent to me on the phone crying after she left? Asking me why? She hurt you! And you didn't even get yourself together until Captain America came along. It was Marvel who actually built you back up again, gave you something to focus on." There's an exasperated sigh. "She broke your heart and with that she broke mine too..."

I did so much damage, I just hadn't realised it until hearing it from Lisa.

This is all I need to hear.

I quietly take my bag and slip out of the front door, not wanting to hear anymore. Grabbing my phone I call Alice as I literally run up the driveway and out into the street, running in a direction I don't know of. 

"Hey, think you can do the 'find my iPhone' thing and send a car to where I am?"

"Are you alright?" She notes the upset in my tone.

"No..." I break into sobs.

I hear tapping and then she speaks. "Gotcha, car and security are coming now, Fallon, what's happened?" I tell her and she listens patiently. "Alright..." she finally says when I'm finished. "So you've just run? He doesn't know you've gone?"

I stop and look around in the darkness, really not knowing where I am at this point".

"No, but he'll discover I've gone soon, perhaps he already has".

"You should've talked to Lisa"

"How can I? She hates me. I'd be the same if my son rocked up with his ex who caused him pain! I made him cry! I heard Lisa say he'd be on the phone hours to her, asking why I'd left. He wasn't himself until he got the Cap role. But if he hadn't? It makes me wonder just how cut up he'd have been". I wipe so tears away and then see that Chris is trying to call me.

I reject it, staying on the phone to Alice.

He calls again, and again. He leaves a voicemail and then a text comes through.

Daddy Barber: Fallon, where the fuck are you! Answer the damn phone! I'm gonna keep calling until you pick up!

Daddy Barber flashes up on the screen as he calls yet again.

"You need to speak to him Fal"

"How can I?"

"Because if you don't then you're throwing away an opportunity with him, to make things work - geez, fuck what the rest of the family thinks! You were clearly meant to have met again to have a second chance. Don't waste it like last time".

Being the voice of reason, I tell Alice I'll call her back and then answer the incoming call from Chris.

"Fallon, where are you? I go to the bedroom and find you're not there? Where are you, I'll come get you". He asks worriedly.

"That's not a good idea.".

He sighs. "Looks, I know Mom wasn't too welcoming but..."

"I heard everything Chris!" My voice cracks. "I heard what she said. It's not a good idea to move this fast if we're going to have a second chance. Your family don't trust me and I don't blame them. They have every right to be protective over you".

I hear him sigh. "Welldone Ma, you've driven her away". He says away from the phone, but I can still hear him. She says something in the background.

"Fal, I've spoke to her, I've told her it's you. No one else. Look, please just tell me where you've gone and I'll come to you".

"I have a car coming to get me".

Another sigh. "Well this wasn't exactly the evening I planned".

"Perhaps it's better to not get ahead of ourselves. We need to take things easy..."

"Just how much easier do you want it?" He says. "Fal. I have literally just told my mom that if I had the choice then I'd marry you tomorrow, and if she or anyone else didn't like it? It was just how it would have to be. You're my choice". He tells me. "Am I still yours?"

I'm silent, taking in the fact he's stuck up for me, even when he really had no reason to, and also that he's literally still wanting to marry me after all this time.

Is he still my choice?

It's not really a question is it.

"Yes". I reply softly l.

He doesn't speak and for a moment I wonder if he's hung up, but then he does. "Come back, I want things to be smooth sailing for us, and for you and Ma. I want us to actually have what we said we would? You remember?"

"You have it though".

"I may have the house and the dog, but I don't have anyone to share it with. If you still don't want it?, the marriage, the kids, then it's something I'll just have to deal with. I know you've been through a divorce. Perhaps I should consider it might not be what you want or that maybe it is better to take things slow again".

Tears slide down my cheeks.

"I want you". I tell him seriously, and choke back a sob. "I want it all".