Chapter 17

The weeks begin to fly by and our baby keeps on growing. Even though I feel like the size of a house, Chris tells me I don't look like it. He's been away filming, but when we're at home, every morning he'll wake up and kiss my stomach, murmuring a "morning bud" to our baby. He's hated being away and now is thankful to be home with us again.
Unfortunately I'm heading to the UK in a few days for the BAFTAS, something which Chris and I agreed I should do. My pregnancy will be confirmed and out in the open at least, but that's it.

"It'll take the stress off, I know you wanted to keep this under wraps but perhaps it's better that it's out there". Chris said one evening as we laid in bed.

"I'm just worried that's all..."

"Fal, when the time is right for us to go public we will do it, and we'll do it quietly and tactfully. No verbal confirmation, the people can just look at the pictures and see for themselves ok? We won't be able to hide away forever".

I think of his words as I sit in the nursery, sorting out baby clothes that I've washed and am now putting away in preparation for when our boy is finally here. I can't help but cry though, I wish I had my mum here with me to help with this. It's like a minefield of baby things.

"Fallon?" I hear Lisa in the doorway and don't look around, knowing she'll see me upset. "Are you alright?"

"Just going through stuff" I try to sound upbeat but my voice gives it away.

I sense her presence beside me as she gets down on the floor and begins to help.

And I welcome it.

"Overwhelming isn't it? Looking at these little clothes and knowing soon he'll be here". She says as she folders a little sleep suit and puts it with the others. Now she looks over at me and sees the tears. "Come here, come on don't cry". She says as I begin to sob and hug her. "I know things haven't been easy, and I guess that's on me and the rest of the family, but my worry was Chris, and I know I should've just sat you down and talked, much like we're doing now". She soothes and strokes my hair.

"I never wanted to hurt him". I cry into her, "but I wasn't ready for what he wanted. And I regret it. I always will because we lost so many years..." it's all coming out now, "and I'm so sorry for everything I said, for having him cry to you all those nights. I've tried to make amends to people and instead I've just been treated as I should've, because I deserve it after what I did".

"But to the point where it affected you and the baby?" She now pulls away and looks at me. "We never intended for that. We've all spoken about it, Chris probably hasn't told you but he got us altogether and believe me we felt guilty, and still do - but we want to make it up to you both. If you'll let us?"

I nod. "I just want to feel wanted. For the baby to feel it too, because I don't have any family left. There are so many things I wish I could talk Tommy mum about, but she's not here, and I'm scared - like really fucking scared about what's about to happen". I admit.

Lisa takes a tiny pair of jeans that I'm holding and folds them, then helping me up from the floor. "Well you have me, I've been there and done that, and I won't lie, it's scary the first time around not knowing what to expect". She smiles, "come on, let's have a break from sorting and if you want, you can tell me everything - and I'll try my best to put your fears to rest".

I nod. "Thank you".

"Hey, what are mother in laws for eh?" She smiles, taking me downstairs and making us both some lunch.

The olive branch has extended, and now I'm safe in the knowledge that I have the backing of my mother in law, someone who I didn't think would ever warm to the situation.