Chapter 11

I wait nervously for Chris to FaceTime me once I message him that I'm back at the hotel. It takes about fifteen minutes for him to call and those minutes feel like a lifetime.

"Hey". I say, tummy doing flips as he appears on the screen.

"You alright?" He asks.

"Question is are you?" I say and rest myself back against the headboard. "How'd your meeting go earlier?"

I see him walking through the house as he talks to me, "well I couldn't exactly focus, but it was fine..." he closes the door to his bedroom and now is on his bed. "So...this is really happening huh?"

"You're angry".

His face falls. "What? No! Never, it's just...unexpected. I just wanna know how you feel about it all".

"If I'm honest? I'm shitting myself - I didn't think that it would happen this early. We were gonna take things slow..."

"I don't think that was ever gonna happen with us, even if we said we should. But I'm not angry Fal, this could be what we need..."

"Or it could be the death of us again". I break down into sobs. "Your family hate me, and now they will even more because of this".

He stops me. "Let me handle my family. We're finally having what we want, we're having a baby..." even on him saying it out loud it feels surreal. "Look, we just need to work out how we're gonna do this. You know the press will be sniffing around and..."

"I want to keep it private". I tell him quickly. "Everything. I don't want anything to be given away easily. Not even us. We deserve to actually have this time together".

"And we will. We can keep this for us. No one else. Alice and Megan can sort some things out in terms of going to appointments and whatnot. But what I will say you need to do is move in with me. We can't raise this baby in two countries".

I swallow. "I don't think your mum would approve of me coming to..."

"Fal, I've already said let me deal with that ok? We said this is what we wanted? So let's just go for it". He smiles. "I know it's too late in some ways, but we deserve this. I'm not going anywhere ok?"

My voice cracks. "Ok...sorry, I've spent most of my time crying this evening".

"C'mon, there's nothing to cry about. We're gonna have a baby" he beams.

He's wanted a family for so long, I regretted it for that, not having one sooner. It's a sign. It's our chance.

"I really wish you were here right now". I lie down and wipe my eyes.

"I know. I wish I was too - how long before you're back?"

I check my schedule. "Few more weeks". The sad thing is he can't even fly out and see me incase of us raising suspicion about our relationship.

"Let's be sure to check in every day. You take it easy alright? You feel unwell or tired, you tell..."

"I know". I smile at his protectiveness over me. "I'll be ok. I'll have Alice arrange an appointment for when I'm back. Then we can go from there".

He grins in his usual way, Dodger now appearing beside him. "You hear that Bubba? You're gonna be a big brother". He tells him while scratching his ears, and then looking back at me. "It's gonna be alright Fal. I promise".

"I know" I tell him, feeling positive about it all for the first time since looking at the test.

I'm going to be a mother and with the man that I should've had this with in the first place. But it was clear that we were meant to come back to one another again.

My hand goes to my stomach and gently rests there. Of course there's nothing there yet, but I can't wait to meet them already. "Do you think boy, or girl?" I ask him.

"Y'know what? I don't mind. Long as we have ten fingers and ten toes then it's all that matters to me".

A miniature version of him would be so cheeky, running around and causing chaos, and if it was a girl then I can instantly tell she'd be glued to his side. Whatever we have, he'd adore them.

I just hope that his family will come around to the idea and to me. If they don't? Then I really don't know what is going to happen.