The Bicycle Thief

What's the key to being a great Dad?

That's a question I've always been thinking about. What I believe is a great Dad, doesn't line up who my father actually is.

So, how can I know the answer when I don't have a great example?

Mom and I are in the kitchen sitting at the table eating fruit together while she's reading a magazine and I'm reading a book for school. It's part of my summer book reading project.

"Hey, I called that place in Napa and got us upgraded to a villa with a hot tub," Jay tells Mom as he's coming into the kitchen. "So pack whatever you wear in a hot tub." He walks behind her and kisses her cheek.

I'm trying to keep my food down, thank you. Keep it in the bedroom.

"I usually wear nothing when I'm in a hot tub." I can't believe I heard those words coming from my mother's own mouth.

"You know I'm right here, don't you?" I ask her in disgust.

"And my college roommate's wife just had to get a new hip. Sucker." He chuckles and so does Mom.

Jay uses my mother for bragging rights that he has a hot young wife compared to his friends a lot. I hate that and think it's disgusting. But at least Mom sometimes doesn't mind. 

They're going to go away to Napa while Manny and I will be with our actual father who's taking us to Disneyland for a couple of days.. Being sixteen years old, my love for kiddie things like Disneyland had fizzled out, but I don't mind going. 

But it's my Dad and he's known to not keep his promises. I'll be very surprised and impressed if he does show up and take me and Manny to Disney. Manny puts him up on a high pedestal. Practically worships him. I used to too at his age, but once I realize how much of a liar he is and sees through his plot holes and flaws with his exaggerated stories and how he treats Manny and Mom with them, I can see right through his cracks.

I can't tell Manny the truth about our father. It's not like he'll believe me anyway. Also, Mom doesn't want me to spoil the image of his father. She'd rather have Manny see Dad for who he wants to see him as rather than the real person. So, I just let Manny be. 

I just hope Dad really takes us to Disneyland, so we can get away from here. I just need a break.

"Limo gets here at four," Jay says. "This morning I thought I'd go over to the club and hit a few balls."

"No," Mom rejects, turning around in her chair to look at him "What about the fan in Manny's room?"

"Oh, yeah... Call a guy."

"Nooo. You're supposed to do it with him. It's important that we teach him how to do things for himself."

"It's probably better to call a guy than to call Manny." I mutter then I put another piece of fruit into my mouth.

"In my culture, men take great pride in doing physical labour."

"I know. That's why I hire people from your culture."

I give Jay a look, narrowing my eyes. "Isn't that racist?"

"You're too funny," Mom laughs as she gets up from her chair. "I'm gonna share that one with my next husband when we're spending all your money." Mom leaves the kitchen.

"Maybe the next husband will be younger and a lot richer than you." I joke at him with a cocky smirk. 

"Just for that, you're going to help me work on the fan with Manny." He says sternly and then leaves.

"Ugh...!" I groan at the trouble I got myself into.

•          •          •