Little Bo Bleep

"Stella!" My eyes roll when I hear Jay yell for the little mutt while I'm watching TV. Manny is working on his couponing like a soccer mom at the counter in the kitchen. "Where's my good girl? Gloria, is Stella up there?"

"No. But I am," Mom answers. "Why don't you say 'hello' to your wife when you come home?"

"Well, why don't you greet me at the door, wagging your tail? Stella, honey! Where are you? Stella! My baby!" I immediately turn off the TV to get up and check on why Jay is yelling for the dog like that. I got worried if something happened to her. "Stella, I'm coming! I'm coming!"

Mom and I quickly follow Jay outside to the pool where he's running and jumped in. I can't believe he actually jumped into the pool just because Stella is in there swimming. She didn't seem scared or appear to be drowning at all. She's fine. Jay just worries a lot about her. Way too much of you ask me.

"You okay? You okay?" He frets over her as Mom and I come outside.

"Why are you swimming in your clothes?" Mom gasps in shock.

"Because I'm self-conscious about my body," Jay answers smartly, getting out of the pool. "Stella fell in the pool."

"It's my fault," Manny apologizes, walking out to us. "I let her out, and then I got caught up in my couponing."

"Any coupons for swim lessons?" Jay asks him, cradling Stella in his arms. "Cause Stella needs some."

"Seriously? Manny you teach to swim by throwing him in the pool, but the dog gets swimming lessons?"

"Manny has got to know how sometime." I say with my arms crossed. I already know how to swim. That's one of the things that my father actually taught me something.

"I gotta say, it was unpleasant but effective." Manny looks at Mom.

"We have to teach Stella how to swim. Otherwise, she could drown." Jay says defensively.

"Why don't you teach her not to jump in the pool?" Mom asks.

"She didn't jump in the pool. She fell in the pool. Why, suddenly, would she jump in the pool when she doesn't know how to swim?"

"Maybe she was feeling brave and spontaneous?" I suggest with a shrug.

"Why does she bark at the vacuum?" Then Mom speaks closely to Stella's face. "It's a thing. It is never going to play with you."

"Are you saying that Stella is stupid?" Jay covers her ears. Seriously?

"Are you covering her ears?"

"Let's have a little compassion. She's probably still traumatized from her near-death experience," Jay sets her down, but Stella jumps into the pool again. I've seen it with my own two eyes. She didn't fall in. She jumped. "Again? What's happening?!"

"Ay, no!" Mom exclaims as Jay jumps in to save the dog.

I believe that if Jay had a choice to choose to save anyone of us in the family, it'll be the dog first more than anything.

•          •          •