Chirp

Mom, Manny, and I get out of the car at Jay's workplace. Manny and I had a doctor's appointment today so we're going to have lunch with Jay. We see one of Jay's co-workers, Jack, who's a pretty cool guy.

"Hola, Jack." Mom greets him smiling as Jack is getting off a forklift.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" He asks.

"The kids had a doctor's appointment so we're going to have lunch with Jay. Is he in there?" Mom points.

"In the back." Jack replies.

"Good day, Jackson." Manny and I greet him properly.

"Good day, Manuel, Vanessa." 

"I see you're still forklifting." Manny notices.

"More like lifting the fork." Jack jokes, patting his belly.

"Man, I was gonna say that joke!" He complains.

"You should've opened up with that," I tell him and look at Jack. "So, are you still using this? Would it be okay if I have some fun with it?"

"It's a forklift, Vanessa, not a toy." Jack says seriously. Which is weird of him to act that way because he's the most fun one out of the others that Jay works with.

"I know. I promise to be really careful with it. I do have my driver's license after all." I point out.

"Why can't I drive it?" Manny pouts.

"Because you're a child, Manuel." I retort, giving him a look.

"So are you!" He argues.

Jack looks like he's internally debating with himself if I should drive it. Thankfully, he caves in. "Okay, fine. You kids can drive it, but just for a little. Vanessa, you can get behind the wheel first, and then it can be Manny's turn." Jack tells us and I go sit on the seat. He teaches me what the controls do and I think I'm getting the hang of it. He even gives me a construction hat to put on. "Okay, you think you got it?" Jack asks me.

"I got it." I answer with confidence. 

Jack only lets me lift with one thing and that's it. And it was so much fun! A female construction worker. How cool is that? Next is Manny's turn. He gets behind the wheel and tries to drive forward, but backs up, like, really fast and crashes into the wall. He means to forward and not backward.

My eyes widen with horror and my hand covers my mouth in shock at the damage that happened.

Once again, we had to go to the hospital so Manny's injuries can get treated. Mom was freaking out and screaming on the whole way there. I get it that Manny got hurt, but it's only an accident. And it's like Mom always loses her mind if something happens to her precious baby boy.

They're sitting together on the couch. Manny is a bruise on his cheek and a band-aid above his right eyebrow.

"Ay, my poor papi, two doctor visits in one day." Mom pities.

"Mom, I'm fine," Manny assures. "The hospital said I can go back to school."

"No, you suffered a traumatic experience." Mom shakes her head.

"Mom, I think you're being just a tad dramatic." I tell her.

"I barely remember it. I remember crashing into a wall and the ambulance ride to the hospital." Manny recalls.

"That wasn't the ambulance, I drove you." Jay gives him a drink.

"Then what was that siren?" 

"That was your mother." Jay answers and I remember how loud Mom's screeching was.