Manny Get Your Gun

The family are gathered at a table at the Maggiano's Italian restaurant. Tension between everyone is so thick that you can cut it with a knife. Everyone is in terrible moods today.

Manny is sitting at the head of the table and he gets up to speak. All I can think about is food right now. I'm starving.

"Good afternoon. Thanks for coming," Manny greets everyone. "It's nice to spend my birthday surrounded by so many smiling faces," Hah! Where? "I was almost too depressed to come today. I realized I let my childhood slip away."

This is what happened thirty minutes earlier...

"Let's go! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" I hear Jay bellowing from downstairs.

Right now, I'm straightening my hair in front of the bathroom mirror. Usually, I'll put on my makeup, but I'm running out of time. I know I can put it on quickly. I apply foundation, eyeshadow on, mascara, and some lipstick.

It feels like Jay is rushing me. I just know he likes to be on time. But it won't hurt if we're just five minutes late for Manny's birthday dinner this evening.

After getting myself ready, I go downstairs to Jay and Manny. In his suit, of course. 

"How do I look?" He asks for our opinion.

"Like Al Capone." Jay compliments dryly.

"Thanks!" Manny replies brightly.

"Who's that?" I ask cluelessly. 

Manny gives me a look. "Seriously. You don't know who he is?"

"Am I supposed to?"

"Happy birthday, kid." Jay hands him his gift and my brother pulls it out of the bag.

"Woah! A BB gun?!" Manny asks in shock.

"Enjoy. That's the best gift my Dad ever gave me."

Then Mom comes to us looking frustrated.

"My keys are nowhere! We're gonna have to go in your car." She tells Jay.

"It's in the shop," He says. "Where was the last place you put your keys?"

"Oh, so it's my fault? Where was the last place you put my keys? Mm-hmmm." She walks away.

"In your hand when I bought you the car." Jay replies.

Once she's out of earshot, I speak to Jay. "You really should know better by now to not accuse Mom of something she didn't do."

"Hey, she lost the keys. Not me." I roll my eyes at his words.

"Hey, Jay," Manny says as he's holding the BB gun and the box is in his other hand. "On the box, it says, 'ages 16 and up'. Is this an appropriate gift for me?"

Of course, Manny will ask such a question. Even Luke has a BB gun. He really shouldn't though, knowing him.

"Are you kidding? You were born sixteen."

"That's true." I agree, nodding my head.

"You know, we wouldn't be having this problem if you hadn't lost the spare set." Jay tells Mom when she returns.

"I didn't lose them. Somebody came in here and stole them!" Mom angrily says and walks away again.

"And left the car." Jay doubts, looking after her.

"What do you mean, 'I was born sixteen'?" Manny asks curiously.

"I'm just saying you were never much of a kid. And that's a good thing cause I never liked kids."