An Unlikely Meeting

~~~Loki's pov~~~

It was a brisk winter evening in late January when I decided to take a walk around the city.

Thor was being even more insufferable than usual, and I didn't trust myself not to kill him if he continued.

I had been with the Avengers for four years, but they still didn't trust me. Especially Stark and Barton.

After my forced invasion of New York and the mind control wore off, Fury suggested that instead of being taken to Asgard, I should be kept in a cell in Avengers Tower. He said there was less chance of me escaping.

The team kept me in that cell for three years, only ever letting me out for certain missions. Since then, most of the Almighty Avengers have come to trust me.

Romanoff seemed quick to forgive after I explained the mind control situation to her, as did Rogers.

Thor has been, well, Thor. He was welcoming from the start. How he hasn't been killed yet, I am not sure.

Banner, Stark, and Barton still don't trust me, though. And that's fine. I think I can live knowing that at least half of the team doesn't hate me.

I mean, they trusted me enough to make me an Avenger. I still can't believe they did that. I think Fury may have threatened them.

I was walking down a crowded sidewalk when I noticed a woman struggling to balance a coffee tray. I almost paid it no mind. I mean, it was New York. This happened all the time.

Then I saw her trip and fall onto the snow-covered ground.

Well, that's not good.

I used my magic to keep the coffee from spilling and teleported to her.

"Looks like you could use some help there." I offered my hand to help her up.

She looked up at me, surprised, but still took my hand. "Yeah, thanks, um..."

"Loki." I gave my name, only half paying attention to what she was saying, her hazel eyes captivating me completely.

She looked stunning with the snow gently cascading on her dark hair and eyelashes, accentuating her already beautiful features.

I experienced a feeling when I saw her that was hard to put into words, but it felt like my heart was whole after years of feeling empty.

"Catherine." She smiled gratefully before shaking my outstretched hand and grabbing the coffee tray. "It's, uh, really hard to balance a tray of hot coffee in a New York street crowd."

I chuckled. "I bet it is. So, where are you headed?" I tried to shake off whatever this feeling was.

"Just to work. My boss wanted me to pick up some coffee for a meeting. Apparently, he didn't notice it was 25 degrees and snowing when he sent me out." She shrugged.

"Do you work far from here?" I asked. I may have not noticed the temperature, considering I am in fact a Frost Giant, but it must've felt freezing for a regular mortal.

"No, just a few blocks away. I work as an assistant at-" She stopped herself; as her phone started to ring. "I'm sorry, I need to take this. It's my boss. But it was nice meeting you, Loki. Thanks again." She smiled at me before answering the call and walking away.

Once she was out of sight, I walked back to the tower.

But she was all I could think about.

I don't know why. I just met her. I don't even know her last name.

Maybe it's because she didn't shrink away in fear when she saw me. She talked to me as if 2012 never happened.

As much as I tried to dismiss it, that feeling from before refused to go away.

But what scared me was that I didn't hate it.

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

So that was Loki.  I don't know much about him other than my dad hates his guts.

I don't understand why, though.

He acted like such a gentleman. Not at all the serial killer dad made him out to be. He said he was a homicidal maniac who enjoyed terrorizing people for fun.

But the guy I met helped me, a complete stranger, without even knowing who I was.

I shook off the thoughts of the god and entered the tower.  "Hey, Forehead of Security." I greeted Happy, who was sitting at the front desk.

"Hey, Catherine. Did Tony send you out for coffee again?" He sighed, taking the coffee tray from me.

"Yeah. So, what did I miss while I was gone?" I asked, pressing the button for the elevator.

"Nothing much. Your dad just announced a party to celebrate finding Loki's scepter. It's three days away." He informed me.  I sighed, shaking my head as the elevator doors opened. "He will look for literally any reason to throw a party."

My father was such a child.