Phone Calls

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

A lot has happened in the past two months that I've been with Shield.

We found out who is killing Inhumans. It's another Inhuman named Lash. Not Hydra, which was not a development I was expecting.

Another thing I wasn't expecting was Jemma coming back from the magic rock dimension and Coulson partnering us up with the very organization that is trying to get all of Shield arrested.

I love the guy, he's one of my closest friends, but sometimes he can be really dumb.

At the moment, Hunter is off on a solo mission. I'm not sure why or where. All I know is that I've been locked in Coulson's office for the past forty-five minutes, and no one will tell me anything! This is beyond infuriating.

Since I was alone, I took the opportunity to call Loki.

We had been calling each other at least once a day, just to check in and catch up.

Technically, I'm not supposed to have any contact with the Avengers at all, but I couldn't stop myself from talking to Loki every spare moment I got.

That horrible feeling in my chest that sprouted up again when I left the compound only seemed to lessen when we were talking. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the sound of his voice...

"How much longer do you think until they let you come back?" He asked me after our daily catch up.

I sighed. "Not sure. We're no closer in closing the case on these Inhuman murders, so probably a while. I do miss you, though. Do you think we could possibly meet up sometime soon?"

I could practically hear his smile from the other side of the phone. "I miss you too, but the few times we did that, we almost both got caught." He pointed out.

"I know..." I frowned, recalling the close call from a few days ago. "I just really need to see you."

"I understand the feeling. Fine, how's this? This time tomorrow, Central Park?"

I smiled. "Our tree?"

"Where else?" I could just see his smirk as he spoke. "I have to go. Your father just called another meeting."

"Good luck." I let out a small sigh. "Bye, Loki. See you soon."

"See you soon, darling." And then the call ended.

God, did I miss him...

"Catherine, I got news." I turned from my spot at the desk to see Coulson walking in.

Perfect timing, as usual, Phil!

"What's up? Oh, and after you tell your 'news' maybe you could tell me why I've been locked up in here with no information." I stared at him questioningly.

He raised his hands above his head in surrender. "Okay, I deserved that, and I'm sorry. But what you need to know is that Ward attacked Dr. Garner."

My eyes widened. Andrew Garner is May's ex-husband. "Is he okay?" I asked, my annoyance dissipating.

"He'll be fine. In fact, this attack has prompted May to come back. For good."

"For real? She's back?" I've missed her so much. "Wait. Does she know I'm here?"

He shook his head. "No. But she has only been back for a grand total of ten minutes."

"Can I see her?"

"Well-" He was cut off by May storming into the room.

"Coulson, I-" Then she saw me.

"Catherine?" She looked back in forth between the two of us.