Getting Catherine Back

~~~Clint's pov~~~

"Is there any way we can track her?" I asked, sitting by a computer in the corner of Tony's lab.

We made a plan to take down Ultron, but first, we needed to get Catherine back.

He sighed. "Yes. When she uses her magic, she leaves a distinct radiation trail. I had to use it to find her once. There shouldn't be that many places with the same level of radiation unless she's there."

A few seconds after I input the information, a location popped up on the monitor.

"We got her. She's in Sokovia. Strucker's old base." I clapped my hands at the development.

"I'm going to get her. I'll meet you guys there." Tony said, turning to leave.

I stood up to stop him. "Whoa, Stark! Hold on. We need your help getting people out of the city. Someone else can go get her."

He shook his head. "Like who?"

I shrugged. "Loki."

His eyes widened. "Loki?! You have got to be kidding me. No. She is my daughter, and I'm saving her."

"Too late. Decision has been made. You'll help with the evacuation, and Loki will get Catherine." Steve said, walking past us. "Three minutes. Get what you need."

Okay, so Steve sees it too. Good to know.

"No way we all get through this. If even one tin soldier is left standing, we've lost. There's gonna be blood on the floor. I get first crack at the big guy. Iron Man's the one he's waiting for." Tony smirked.

What? Is he proud that he created a homicidal AI that wants to destroy humanity? Apparently!

"It's true. He hates you the most." Vision said, walking into another room.

Ha!

~~~Tony's pov~~~

We all got into the quinjet and started our flight to Sokovia.

I really hope Catherine's okay.

"Ultron knows we're coming. He wouldn't have taken Catherine otherwise. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We'll find out what Ultron's been building, we'll find Catherine, and we'll clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world, this isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."

Great, another Captain America motivational speech. Just what I needed.

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

I sat on the cold floor of my cell, leaning my back against the wall.

They will come for me, right?

My dad has come for me before, and he can do it again.

On the other hand, it took Dad two months to find me last time. How long would it take this time?

In the midst of my saddened thoughts, I could have sworn I heard someone calling my name, but I must have been hallucinating.

"Catherine!"

Okay, I definitely heard it that time. And it sounded like...

"Loki?" I called out, and stood up, my hands on on the bars of the cell door.

I sighed in relief when he appeared in front of the door.

Thank God!

~~~Loki's pov~~~

"Are you alright?" I asked quickly, so glad to have found her.

When I heard that she was taken by Ultron, that feeling in my chest not only didn't go away, it got so strong that I felt like my heart had stopped.

Sure, before it was uncomfortable, but manageable. After she was taken, I thought it might kill me.

But now, standing in front of her, the feeling was reduced to almost nothing.

"Yeah." She nodded, much to my relief. "Where's everyone else?"

"The team is in the city, evacuating citizens."

"Great. So, can you get me out of here?"

"Can't you just use your magic?"

"Ultron lined this cell with a serum that cancels out my magic. I don't suppose you found a key lying around somewhere?"

"Of sorts." I shrugged. "Stand back."

She backed up against the wall as I used my magic to pry the door off its hinges so she could escape.

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

"Yeah, I guess that works too," I said, stepping out of the cell. "So, what's our play?"

"I'm here to get you to safety."

I furrowed my brows. "But the job's not done."

He shook his head. "It doesn't matter. You've already done plenty." He said, stepping toward me.

"What? I need to help." I protested.

Before I could say anything else, the room started to shake, and dust fell from the ceiling.

"We have to go." He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door.

"No! I can't let civilians get hurt." I pulled back, still resisting.

"And I can't let you get hurt! I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you!" He turned to face me, genuine concern in his eyes.

His words sent a swarm of butterflies into my stomach, almost rendering me speechless.

"Loki, what are you saying?" I finally managed to ask, our faces now inches from each other.

I never would have expected the answer that came next.

"I'm saying, I care about you, Catherine. I really care about you."

My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest, and I couldn't find the courage to speak, but oddly enough, that feeling in my chest began to recede at his words.

"Loki, I-" I was interrupted by the wall beside us getting blown up.

Thank you, Ultron, for your excellent timing!

Note. The. Sarcasm.