𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 || 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐓

"How much farther, Graham?"

The man hadn't calmed down much since he'd been hacked down from being hung, and that put Maria on edge.

"Just a little bit now," he told her, glancing up at the building's windows that stood high them as they walked through the small town.

This didn't ease Maria in the slightest. "How far? A mile? Two?"

Graham's eyes were wide as he looked back at the two. "Yeah. Y-yeah. Just a couple."

Maria huffed. The sun was already setting, meaning it was taking much longer than Graham had originally implied it would to get to his camp. It didn't help her nerves that Graham continued to look up at the windows and down the alleys. It gave Maria the sensation that spiders were crawling all over her back and eyes were watching her from the dark corners around her. Something at the back of her head told Maria that this was all a really bad idea- following a man who was being hung by the Fireflies, back to his very own camp, no less. But catching view of the gash on Jean's neck made her dismiss every though that weighed on her conscience.

Jeanie gripped Maria's hand that was settled on the handle of her machete that hung from her hip. She smiled up at Maria who was unable to push her unease aside to smile back.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay. This is it. Right up here," Graham jogged up ahead, the two girls following. He turned to them, standing in front of a camper door. He held a hand out, "Okay. Just... just stay here for a second."

He knocked on the door twice, confusing the blonde for a moment. Didn't he say this was his camp? While they waited for an answer, Maria took in her surroundings. The sun had almost completely gone down behind the buildings, casting deep blue shadows over everything in their paths. "Graham?"

He made a hum signaling he was listening.

"You sure this place has been cleaned out?"

Just as he began to answer, the camper door opened a crack. "It's me," Graham spoke quietly.

The door opened a bit further, just enough for Maria to see a side of the person's face who stood on the other side of the door. "Oh my God." His voice was deep. Great. Another man.

Maria knew this was a bad idea. She was outnumbered and now Jeanie was in even more danger. "What the hell, Graham? You said it was just you and your girl."

Said man sent a glare to the woman over his shoulder. Then he looked back at the guy in the camper whom Maria still could not clearly see the features of. "Just let us in. It's alright."

The door opened, and there in the doorway stood a man, six foot two at least. His dark skin was accented with the orange hue from the candles that were lit inside the camper. Something about him sparked Maria's memory.

Graham stooped under the man's arm that was draped over the top of the door. The taller man gazed at Maria, and at that moment, her heart dropped and she audibly gasped.