It's Not Your Fault, It's Mine.

Sandra arrived to pick Draco and Blaise up from school.

She had been briefed of the situation over the phone and when the two sat in her car, it was silent.

Her face was set and the grip she had on the wheel was tight.

Blaise knew his mother well and could tell that she was fuming. Fuming at him.

Draco sat at the back seat, staring outside the window. He was exhausted and just wanted to collapse in bed and sleep until nine months had passed. He didn't want to deal with the baby anymore. Why would he?

Sandra parked infront of the house. She opened hers and Draco's door before moving to open the house entrance.

She allowed Draco to walk in first.

"Blaise, can I talk to you in the kitchen please?" She spoke steadily.

She asked the question politely but Blaise could read the subtext under her words.

Blaise followed behind her watching as Draco slowly walked up the stairs, refusing to look back.

*              *                               *                *
       *                           *                        *
   *        *           *                 *       *             *

Draco felt dead on his feet but the moment his body hit the pillow, his eyes wouldn't closed. Not even to blink.

He was only able to stare blankly at the wall infront of him.

His phone pinged a few times and a prolonged vibration rang through the room, but he couldn't hear it.

The only thing he could hear was the screaming downstairs.

Sandra screamed in her mother tongue, but she spoke a few phrases in English.

She constantly switched between the two languages, unable to stick with a single one.

She screamed something in Italian then switched to English. Draco could only make out a few phrases like "Are you stupid?" "I have half the mind to—" and "How do you sleep at night?"

Blaise said nothing. He seemed to just be accepting whatever his mother threw at him.

Why wouldn't he?

Draco lay quiet on his bed. He felt his stomach rumble in hunger but he didn't think of it as hunger. His mind immediately drew to the baby.

"Can't you go a few hours without wanting to eat more?" Draco hissed harshly. His stomach groaned louder at that, defiantly.

Draco ignored the hunger pangs in his stomach. He tried to focus on anything else but the rumbles were so loud.

Damn it! Stupid child... Couldn't go at least a few hours without needing something else.

Draco curled into himself, acting against his body's desires.

No, whatever it wanted, it didn't deserve it.

Not today. Not ever.

There was a knock on Draco's door and when it opened, Sandra walked in holding a tray.

Her face was softer than it had been in the car.

"Il mio bambino*, I've made you some soup..." she blew at the steam, cooling it down before placing it on the bedside table beside Draco's bed. "You must be so hungry... mangialo tutto**! Eat it all! I made it just for you."

If it were up to Draco, he wouldn't have even glanced at the food presented. But there was something about Mrs Zabini's gaze that he didn't want to disappoint.

So he took the spoon and began to eat.

Sandra stood by him, stroking his head in a calming motion.

"You must be so tired... I'm so sorry, il mio bambino..."

Why was she the one who felt sorry?

It wasn't even her fault.

"It's not your fault..." Draco whispered only when Sandra had left the room. "It's mine."

If he hadn't been so naive...

* il mio bambino — "my baby" in Italian

** mangialo tutto — "eat it all" in Italian

Thank you for being so patient!