D | Tag, You're It

Angst

The humid air of the cellar made your sweat feel like a waterfall of ice-cold water as you ran your way past the metal cells, on your way to freedom.

Cries and pleads of all the other maidens echoed off the walls as they saw you run through the halls.

Women you've known for years for now, to be left behind within as if they were insignificant.

This castle, to be forgotten in your memory forever.

But you knew the trauma would linger all over your body, the deformities of scars that hurt even if you only thought about them.

You still couldn't believe the words Miss Daniela had told you just a few moments ago.

"You're free to go."

Her voice sounded the sweetest it had ever sounded, with a smile following behind. It almost felt like the cool summer breeze on the beach, something you haven't felt for eternity.

Free was the word you never expected to ever hear again ever since you had been taken to Castle Dimitrescu.

You've been confined in these walls for the longest time.

From many did you hear that Daniela was taking the maidens for fool when they told them they were free to go. She liked to see them quiver in disbelief when they left the blood covered walls that they've been calling home.

But Daniela and you have been getting along rather well the last few months, so you doubted she'd do that to you.

Hence the peace you felt as soon as you stepped off the grounds and into the forest where the hidden hatch led to. A gush of wind caressed your hair, but you didn't get a moment to appreciate it as you started to run away.

Away from all the torture and hard labor that's been tearing down your body and mind. The loud nights you've experienced all seemed to fade away as you got lost in the shadows of the green trees. But it all was fine as long as you were free.

Your feet stumbled on the uneven grounds, stepping over branches and avoiding the sharp stones that were scattered.

"Y/N." The wind carried your name across your ears, trying to lure you deeper into an obvious darker corner of the forest. And the dark has been something you felt the safest in.

Whenever one of the sisters were upset at you, calling your name and swarming around the halls, you were hiding in a dark corner behind a curtain.

The darkness has saved you from quite a few slashes from the sisters. It might've saved your life on a few occasions as well.

But this time there was nothing to be afraid of anymore, no sisters at the very least.

"Y/N." Your name sounded more lucid in the air, the branches of the trees crackling with every movement the wind made.

With an exhale, you steadied your pace and moved wherever the grass leaned towards to, wanting to get away from the darkness you're leaving behind, even if it felt safe in some way.

You loved it, but hated it at the same time.

To be safe in those walls from the outside world, and being able to feel at home. But having no freedom, is something you could never bare to live with.

"Darling.." An ice-cold breath hit your ear, but it almost felt like the breeze, although that wouldn't be possible. The wind was moving the to the complete opposite direction from where the breath hit you.

Not knowing how the wind could now speak words, you glanced to the side.

Two big, golden eyes were staring at you with a playful aura, ready to pounce on you as soon as they sensed any bit of fear, shock or regret.

Daniela stared at you for what seemed like a hundred years, unmoving, not blinking. Her breath hitting your lips as she moved closer, testing her power over you to see if you were frozen in shock or acting out of consciousness.

But what she hadn't expected was a balled-up fist hitting the side of her face, knocking her up into the air into that all too familiar cloud of flies.

And with that, it wasn't all too long before you were off and running away from her.

"That was mean!" She exclaimed with evident anger in her tone, chasing after you on her feet as soon as she gathered herself together.

It felt as if a knife from within your arms started to poke its tip through your skin as soon as you sprinted, slowly taking you apart. The feeling of the flies of Daniela escaping from your body was too much to handle, to the point where it slowed you down.

But you didn't let go of that little piece of hope, the smell of the ocean and the sound of the waves. Birds soaring in the skies and sand on every inch of your body.

A thumb glided over your cheek, catching the lonely tear that fell from your eye as Daniela came into your sight of view in front of you. You had come to a halt, having lost hope without any further notice.

Her eyes seemed so much like an angel, but you knew that even angels could turn into devils.

And she was exactly like that.

The girl smiled in satisfaction as she lingered her lips on yours, getting a first and supposedly last taste of you before the scythe dug into your chest, hitting your rapidly beating heart.

"Tag, you're it."