000 a heroine and king

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

1905 SEPTEMBER HOGWARTS

Ariadne raced along the empty halls of Hogwarts, judging by her bedside clock; she was late. She quickly hooked her green tie over her neck, her books in the other arm. The quietness of the hallways was ruined as her shoes clicked against the concrete floor. The smell of wet grass wavered through the corridor and the autumn scenery was hard to miss even when her hair was flying backwards. As she reached her classroom, her chest rose and fell before she opened the large oak doors.

With all eyes upon her, she awkwardly shuffled in. Some turned away as she made eye contact with them. Most of them rolled their eyes, at her untidy ebony hair, her poor grip on her books, her mismatched socks. Ariadne quickly took a seat as she caught the professor's stern glare, taking the last free seat next to a Hufflepuff boy. His eyes were trained on the board and his books were in a neat pile in front of him. He quickly glanced at her when she sat down.

Ariadne pulled out her History of Magic book, peering at the boy next to her. She found the page he was on and started skimming over the text. An inflow of writing about the trials of the Pendle witches was displayed neatly in the book.

"Can anyone tell me why the 14th-century witch burnings were pointless?" Lacewood asked, attempting to coax information he already knew out of his students. Knowing the answer from a distant night, one where she was cramped up next to a candle and book, Ariadne put her hand up and Lacewood pointed towards her direction.

"Flame-Freezing Charm."

"Flame-Repellent Cloak," Ariadne stared at the boy next to her. They had spoken simultaneously, thinking that Lacewood had permitted them to answer. He looked just as surprised as she did, however his brashness allowed no hint of embarrassment to flood his system.

Narrowing her eyes, Ariadne argued: the need to be correct, fueling her words, "Flame-Freezing Charm would reveal their wand."

"That's why wandless magic exists," he replied calmly, his certainty irritated Ariadne even more.

"What if they're a child?" she protested, "A cloak is more accessible to all."

"Well, what if they don't have a cloak? A spell is easier."

"They could just perform a summoning charm," Ariadne insisted, losing her grip. He was right, she knew that but stubbornness was second nature to her.

"Wouldn't that reveal their wand?" he mocked. He smiled at her smugly while she pursed her lips. It had been less than five minutes into their first conversation and he had already managed to provoke Ariadne, she would hate to think what would happen if she spent more time with him.

"Accio is easier to perform wandless than the flame-freezing charm," she muttered bitterly, turning away from the boy and back to the professor. This was her admitting defeat. Her cunningness had outweighed her intellect.