007 a familiar face

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Marcet sine adversario virtus

That is Latin for 'their strength and courage drop without an antagonist.' Both Mace and Ariadne's father, Silas Nott, used the phrase to sign off their letters. The phrase was repeated so many times that it was practically burnt into Ariadne's mind. The letters between Mace and Silas ranged from gossip to their muggle hatred, memories and war. Their more recent ones talked about a long-needed holiday which Ariadne was sure the letter was a code. What a pair of paranoid buffoons, she thought to herself.

Ariadne made herself tea. Stirring the hot liquid around as she stared out into the streets. The leaves were beginning to turn orange and red. Bombey had made them pancakes for breakfast. Ariadne couldn't remember the last time she had pancakes. It was probably years back when she was still a student at Hogwarts. She smiled at the thought of her youth. Times were simpler when NEWTs were the only thing on her mind while running around the grounds of Hogwarts. She missed the excitement of quidditch and the stupid Slytherin common room password.

Wait, that's it. A password.

"There was another rally," Theseus stormed down the stairs while putting on a warm coat.

"What?" her head whipped around, it was clear she was caught off guard.

"We need to go," he outstretched his hand and she grabbed onto him. With nothing in her stomach, she felt queasy as they apparated. They landed near the Wallace fountain and Mathéo stood a little to the side, waiting for them to arrive. People were bustling around, walking to work and ignoring all the wizards and witches who seemed to disappear in thin air.

"How recent was the attack?" she turned to Theseus, who started walking towards the Head Auror, leaving her to follow. "Theseus," he didn't hear her over the commotion, "Theseus!" Okay now, he was just ignoring her.

"Ahh, there you two are," Mathéo walked around the corner. In an instant, they apparated into a factory site. Smoke came out of the tall buildings that overlooked the Seine River. Aurors surrounded the site. Both Theseus and Ariadne were shocked at the sudden change of scenery.

He really has to stop doing that.

"How recent was the rally?" she repeated her question to Mathéo.

"He didn't tell you?"

"There wasn't time too," Theseus responded shortly, his eyes avoiding hers as he scanned his surroundings.

There wasn't time my ass-

"An hour ago," Mathéo didn't miss Ariadne's glare at Theseus, "You two should start looking around. I'm sure there's something of use to you two," without wasting a second Theseus walked away. Mathéo glanced at Ariadne who shrugged before chasing after the brunette auror.

"What is your problem?"

"My problem?" he scoffed, malice in his voice. She opened her mouth to retort but two figures in black caught their attention. They stood in between an alleyway created by two large buildings. After catching the aurors' eyes, they started walking away, "Hey!" Theseus yelled, his pace quickening as he pursued the two men.

Ariadne sighed before following Theseus. She took out her wand and as they turned the corner, charms blasted their way towards them. Theseus was quick to react as he muttered, 'Protego.' When two charms collided with his shield, Ariadne leapt into action. She sent them stunning charms, and when they blocked them, she sent them objects from the alleyway. Barrels rolled towards the men, who attempted to avoid them. She surprised one of them by wrapping an invisible string around his arms. The figure on the left sent another charm towards her. She was so preoccupied with removing the wand from the other man that Theseus blocked the charm for her. He cast a spell that knocked the man to the ground. Ariadne finished him off by binding his arms together, exactly as she had done with the other man. And with their hats and disguises knocked off, Ariadne could recognise one man.

"Darling," Edwin Flint smirked at her and oh how much she wanted to slam her foot into his face as she stared down at him.

"Ariadne," Theseus warned. The string on their limbs had gone magically tighter. The other man groaned and Ariadne narrowed her eyes at him. She couldn't recognise him.

"Get up," she hissed, watching as the other man scrambled to get up while Flint took his time. Ariadne wrapped her hand around Flint's arm, squeezing tightly in warning. She shoved him forward, not caring about how harsh she was while Theseus took hold of the other man.

They walked back to Mathéo who immediately transported them back to the Ministry. Both Flint and Isaiah Cypress - the other man who Ariadne later learned his name, were separated into cells. Mathéo had congratulated them and told them of their lack of findings. Whatever had happened on the site, there was no trace of anything. It seemed that Grindelwald had gotten more careful. Ariadne had a sickening thought that maybe, he had realised they were on his trail.

[840 words]