046 cafe gossip

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"What the fuck?"

"Melinda!" Ariadne gasped. In the little cafe they sat inside of, heads turned their way, internally scrutinising the foul language coming out of the small woman. Ariadne had arrived back in London a day ago, she had bid Newt farewell and told him to visit her soon. Unpacking had been a bore and Ariadne decided she wanted to see her friend.

"What the fuck?" the raven haired witch repeated. Her eyes almost bulged out of their sockets, "You mean to tell me, that you worked with Grindelwald, disguised as Graves, then Theseus' younger brother thought to have rein havoc in New York, saves it?"

"That pretty much sums it up," Ariadne jested, finding humour in her friend's reaction.

"I almost didn't believe it when I saw your name on the Daily Prophet," Melinda truthfully informed, "And now, I know the full story. I still don't believe it. The hero saving the day, huh?" She playfully nudged Ariadne which the brunette witch brushed off with a smile.

"It didn't feel like a win. He was so unbothered by his capture," she thought back to the day where Grindelwald stood in front of her. His hands bound behind his back and yet a smirk on his face.

"He's a villain, Ariadne," Melinda mentioned, picking up her tea, "Crazy and clever."

"I suppose," Ariadne agreed before dusting off the unease as she laid her hand on Melinda's hand, "How have you guys been in the past two months?"

"It's so depressing without you."

Ariadne smiled at her friend's bluntness, "You're being kind."

"No," Melinda shook her head, "I'm sure Bailey and Theseus are glad that you're back too." Ariadne couldn't help but suppress a large smile that threatened to appear on her face. She had missed her friends dearly even if she had made new ones across the ocean.

"I would have never chosen America over you guys," she squeezed Melinda's hand watching as false bitterness appeared.

"You could have told us that before you travelled over there," Melinda lectured, her head turned away to fake anger, "I was just hoping that their offices smelled so you wouldn't accept the position of Head Auror." Ariadne laughed, causing Melinda's acidity to fade away. "When will you come back to work?"

"I have one more month of leave," Ariadne mentioned, "Might wait until then." In truth, she wasn't ready to face the outside world. She had spent so long missing the comfort of her homeland that now she felt that she didn't deserve it.

"You deserve a break," Melinda nodded, coincidentally reassuring Ariadne's worries, "I mean you saved the world."

"Okay, now that is an exaggeration."

"Well, you and Theseus had been trying to lock Grindelwald up for ages now," it was true. She had spent the past year trying to find him, now that she had him locked up. She should have been happy, glad that he couldn't hurt anyone else. However, the whole situation felt off, like a trap waiting to be set off. But nonetheless, this was still a big victory, "You just did it... with his brother."

"How is he, Theseus? Still working to ungodly hours of the night?" She tried to say it like she didn't care that much, but Melinda saw right through her. A small sly smile on her face as she picked up her friend's concern for the brunette wizard.

"Actually, we talked to him about it," Melinda started, easing Ariadne's fears, "He's having lunch with us more regularly although we know he can't always come. And I can tell he sleeps more than he did two months ago."

"I'm glad," she answered truthfully.

A knowing smile appeared on Melinda's face, "You should talk to him."

"Maybe later. I just got back." Ariadne deflected, not really wanting to face the brunette wizard just yet, "Anyways, what's going on between you and Bailey?"

Blush coated Melinda's cheeks as she looked down, "Nothing."

"That doesn't seem like nothing."

"Shut up."

[664 words]

a/n

just a short little chapter to wrap up the second act! i do love melinda and ariadne's friendship. 

kjlyds