036 an interruption

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Ariadne hadn't been here long, but she knew that everyone gathered around the table held high status. Graves had called a meeting, inviting only the best aurors of America as Madam Picquery walked in, her head held up high. Lazily, Graves lifted his head from the newspaper, chatter stopped at the table and Ariadne sat up a little bit straighter.

"I presume you all have been informed of what happened," nods followed and Madam Picquery continued, "Good. Then you know how serious this is. The International Confederation is threatening to send a delegation. They think this is related to Grindelwald's attacks in Europe."

"I was there. This is a beast. No human could do what this thing is capable of, Madam President," Graves interrupted, his voice low. Overnight, both Ariadne and Graves cramped up in the Ministry's library, determined to find a clue that would help them in this investigation. She found nothing. Engrossed with so many books, Ariadne didn't notice the ones that Graves hid from her.

"Whatever it is, one thing's clear: it must be stopped," she concluded, "It's terrorising No-Majs, and when No-Majs are afraid, they attack. This could mean exposure. It would mean war," her words echoed throughout Ariadne's mind, sending goosebumps down her skin. It was no exaggeration. She had seen the woman who stood outside the bank, proclaiming the violent demeanour of witches. War with the muggles would bring back the trauma of bloodshed. War with the muggles meant she would lose everything she had. War started by muggles meant that every prejudiced comment by purebloods wizards was true.

The creaking of the elevator interrupted the meeting. Slowly but surely, Tina walked in, dragging along a familiar looking man, his blue eyes curiously darting around the room.

"I made your position here quite clear, Miss Goldstein," Madam Picquery chastised.

"Yes, Madam President, but I-"

"You are no longer an Auror," her voice was strong, almost making Tina shrink.

"No, Madam President, but-"

"Goldstein."

"There's been a minor incident," Tina pleaded, her eyes moved from Madam Picquery to Ariadne and Graves. Silent sympathy could be read from Graves while Ariadne looked like she wanted to say something. Her eyes were on the President as a concealed glare hid behind her nonchalant stare.

"Well, this office is currently concerned with very major incidents," Madam Picquery reiterated, "Get out."

"Yes, ma'am," Tina complied, pulling the soft brunette back outside the office. Graves and Ariadne shared a glance as he shook his head at her. They were both in no position to argue against Madam Picquery. No amount of persuading would change her mind, especially in her angered state. It was then that Ariadne realised that she was no better than a man who was ignorant.

Soundlessly listening to Madam Picquery bark out orders, Ariadne and Graves stood up as soon as Picquery concluded the meeting, both advancing to the Wand Permit office. Over her two weeks in America, Ariadne could tell Graves was fond of Tina. He was her mentor, someone who believed in her just like Barracus was for Ariadne.

The dark brunette witch smiled softly at the thought before the elevator door opened, revealing a messier office space. Stacks of paperwork filled the path, overcrowding the cabinets and desks. With the disarray blocking their path, Ariadne almost fell over a cardboard box filled with papers.

"Afternoon, Mr Graves, sir!" A wizard called out, his face immediately brightening as Graves entered the office. His raven hair was smoothed away from his face, his suit was neat and posh. Tina had her head down and the brunette man stood near her.

"Afternoon, Abernathy," Graves responded politely, not sharing the same enthusiasm as the shorter wizard.

Tina stepped towards them, tightly holding a suitcase as she lowered her voice, "Ariadne. Mr Graves, sir this is Mr Scamander." With wide eyes, Ariadne stared at Scamander. The familiarity finally clicked in her brain. The same brunette hair with the same set of blue eyes as his older brother. "He has a crazy creature in that case and it got out and caused mayhem in a bank, sir," Tina glanced back towards Scamander who was innocently trying to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Let's see the little guy," Graves finally said, making Tina's shoulders drop with relief. Ariadne glanced back up at Scamander, his mouth opened to argue but hesitation took over as he closed it. Stepping towards a desk, Tina placed the case down before throwing open the lid.

"Tina," Graves dragged out, a hint of disappointment in his tone as they stared down at a case filled with baked pastries. Nervously, Scamander rounded the corner, freezing as he gaped at the suitcase. With nothing more to say, Graves walked back to the elevator and Ariadne watched the panicked glance shared between Tina and Scamander.

"That's not his case," Ariadne stated before turning to the wizard, "That's not your case?" Scamander's cheeks were tinted with embarrassment. Worry was evident on his face as he shook his head. Merlin, did he look like the one person who she was trying not to think about. Ariadne turned to Tina, sharing a silent conversation before they headed to the elevator, ignoring Abernathy's calls as Tina dragged Scamander along with them.

[876 words]

a/n

hellp. i thought it would get easier to write when i followed the movie. its worse. i dunno how to place ariadne in the movie. its terrible. 

anyways, comment and vote to ease the suffering (jokes)

kjlyds