051 three broomsticks

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Ariadne asked, making Dumbledore turn his head around. The bustling crowd in the Three Broomsticks made it easier for them to have conversations without the worry of eavesdroppers. To the world, they were just friends catching up after a long day at work. To them, they were scheming to dismantle the injustice that a powerful wizard had accentuated. Glancing around, Ariadne couldn't lie, the popular pub was warmer than the one Dumbledore's brother owned. She could see why it attracted more customers. The mirror behind the bar made the room bigger as it reflected the cosy aura.

"Ariadne, please sit," he patted the stool next to him, nursing a butterbeer that was half full. He wore a friendly smile, one that he gave around carelessly, "Do you want anything to drink?"

"No, I'm okay," she waved off the bartender that approached the pair as she sat down.

"Always business with her," he joked, winking at the older woman behind the bar. She gave him a longing smile before tending to other customers. Ariadne stared at Dumbledore, eyes wide with surprise and disgust? "I need a letter to be delivered," between two gloved fingers, a sealed envelope was passed to Ariadne. She took it tentatively, still shocked from Dumbledore's interaction with the bartender. "There's a party in a week. Take someone with you and give this to Franklin Selwyn."

"And why can't you do it?" She asked cautiously, taking her eyes off Dumbledore as she examined the letter sealed with wax.

"He won't talk to me," he stated casually, "Actually, one more thing. He can't know you gave it to him," and Ariadne raised a brow. Giving up questioning the mysterious requests, she pursed her lips at the requirement he gave her.

"And his importance?" Franklin Selwyn was a pureblood wizard, coming from a noble familyline. The papers loved to follow his name particularly with all the lavish parties that his family threw. If Ariadne remembered correctly, he was currently high up in the ministry ranks and available. Or at least, that's how the gossip pages presented him.

"That will be determined after he reads the letter."

"Right. Always so cryptic," she jested, causing him to chuckle, "I suppose an owl won't do."

"He's allergic," Dumbledore explained, "He won't read letters that are sent to him by owls."

"Pettiness. Respectable," she remarked, eyes filled with humour. It seemed like he agreed as he turned away.

"Do be careful."

"I always am," she shot back softly. It wasn't every day that Dumbledore would show concern. He trusted her abilities, she knew that. "And uh, Rosier's been spotted in London."

"Yes, outside Gringotts."

Ariadne whipped her head towards him, surprise coating her features, "How do you know that?"

"You're not the only eyes and ears I have," he grinned.

"I suppose you've heard of Wilton going to Germany too huh?" Ariadne added, watching as Dumbledore nodded, "Can you put that under your radar? Merlin, Travers won't let me near the case and Theseus is too much of a stickup to let me." She wanted to know how close or how far they were from capturing her father. She wanted to know where they predicted he would be and where he was spotted. However they discussed the case behind closed doors, because after everything said and done, she was his daughter by blood. They thought her emotions would ruin the case and it might just, but not for the same reason they thought so. "I just... I need to know."

"You've done so much for me. I'll see what I can do for you."

Bidding Dumbledore goodnight, Ariadne couldn't help walk through Hogsmeade. As she followed the path, she followed the ghost of herself. A younger girl who wandered freely, minding her own business while others stared at her. They had always hated how carefree she was when alone, guess that's why she stayed alone. Ariadne always had found her solitude peaceful because if she didn't, she might have gone insane.

And for the first time, she felt confident in herself. She was making a change in a world that needed to evolve. Ariadne had never thought she would be going behind the backs of the ministry and fighting for the very reason she signed up to be an auror. It's funny how much of the world you never got to see as a child.

If you told her younger self that the people who were 'good,' weren't as good as she thought, that might have sent her through a crisis. Ariadne always thought that the ministry would save her from her family. She could grow there and build up a new home. Except, the ministry treated her like dirt too. Sure, some people had seen her potential, but others would always condemn those for doing so. It's funny how disappointing it is when childhood idealisations never meet their expectations.

But even so, those people were now her closest friends. If you told her younger self that she would revive the friendship she had with Theseus and fall for him again, that would have sent her through another crisis. And as she neared the path that would have taken her back to Hogwarts, she smiled as she watched her younger self walk away because for the first time, contentment filled her soul. Even when there was a letter that she somehow had to deliver. Even when her friendship with Theseus was hanging by a thread. And even when her shadows lurked a little too close to comfort.

[930 words] 

a/n

a short one, but i promise you the next one will be longer.  i feel like the story has too much dialogue, which sure makes the book interesting but i also want to reflect ariadne's inner thoughts and growth.

also school's starting tomorrow which means updates will be less frequent. please bare with me as i procrastinate both homework and writing these chapters. 

kjlyds