056 the princess & the hero

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

With each one of their attackers tied tightly against a tree, their wands just out of reach, Newt walked Ariadne up the stairs, insisting that he'd do so after they apparated in front of her apartment building. She was tired, she didn't want to deal with the workload that followed after the ministry officials came to the scene. They were tired too, Ariadne could tell after relief sagged their shoulders while she told them they would deal with this tomorrow.

"What will you do with them?" Newt asked, leading Ariadne up the stairs.

"I don't know," she replied truthfully, "I don't even know if they'll let me in on the case." She let out a chuckle, half because of the irony of her position, half because she was annoyed.

"They won't let you on the case?" He repeated, confused.

"The Head of Department kinda hates me," she added, tucking in a stray piece of hair, "And your brother doesn't want to defy him."

Newt opened his mouth to respond but left it agape as he reached Ariadne's floor. Her eyes had been trained on the ground so she furrowed her brows as Newt cleared his throat. Standing in front of her apartment door was Theseus, his jaw clenched. Ariadne blinked a few times, making sure she wasn't dreaming. Silence wedged itself between the group and it began to grow unpleasantly.

"Thank you for-"

"I should probably go," Newt insisted, avoiding Theseus and Ariadne's gaze.

"Oh, right," she gave him a small smile, watching as he left, mind running with different ways she could approach this. "It's late." Ariadne began, almost flinching at his nonchalant stare. She thought that by bringing his attention to the time, maybe he'd leave her alone. Half because she didn't want to be near him, half because she knew this would be a bad idea.

"I know," Theseus stuffed his hands in his pocket. His apathetic attitude made her skin crawl. He knew Ariadne and Newt were friends. Did he not expect them to be seen together?

"Come inside," she finally let out, giving up on hiding from him as she opened the door for the both of them. She scanned her apartment quickly, burning the note that Dumbledore had given her before he could see it. "Would you like tea?" A downgrade from the firewhiskey she was craving but tonight was not the night. Theseus nodded and Ariadne disappeared into her kitchen, a small moment to collect herself. She sighed silently, running her fingers through her hair. What was he doing here?

His tea cup floated down towards him, the option of sugar and milk eagerly zipping towards him as she led him to her couch. The silence chipped away her self assurance as his spoon clinked against the glass cup. His tea swirling from a rich brown to a paler beige. Out of unease, she played with the bracelet on her wrist, watching as she twirled the rose around.

"I didn't know you and Newt were that close," he finally said, eyes avoiding Ariadne's as he stared down at her wrist.

"I was helping him collect an ingredient," she answered quickly, keen to get out of tension created by his words. "Nothing happened. We're just friends," she didn't really know why she was justifying her relationship with Newt. She didn't owe it to him. She didn't.