004 confessions & tears

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"They arrested Eloise," Theseus walked into the living room of the house they were given, folding his coat as the warm air hit him. The small townhouse was close to the headquarters of the French Ministry of Magic. The living room was as elegant as possible, filled with beige pastel wallpaper and stylish furniture. The fireplace was prelit and paintings of different landscapes decorated the walls.

She hid the pocket watch she was analysing and sat up straighter on the couch. "Why?"

"They're scared," he said simply, causing her to roll her eyes.

"It's foolish," Ariadne countered. With Grindelwald's ever growing cause, the Ministry was desperate to end his authority. Even if that meant arresting civilians who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were desperate to lock up every single one of his acolytes, even if they were arresting the innocent. It was backhanded and idiotic. The Ministry was causing more unrest by doing so, leading to more and more people supporting Grindelwald.

"Well, we can both agree on that."

"Right," and there it was, the awkward silence that drifted between them. It had never been fixed, not since forever ago. Ariadne stared at the fire, avoiding his eyes. Sure, there was a time where she thought she could trust him, but times change and people disappoint. As he opened his mouth to say something, a little 'poof' interrupted him.

"Hello, I'm Bombey, keeper of the house, at your service," a small house elf apparated in front of Ariadne. Large eyes peered up at the brunette wizard and a small smile appeared on her face.

"Hi, Bombey," Ariadne crouched down, getting to the same level as Bombey.

"Would Miss Nott like Bombey to make dinner? Bombey will make the most delicious dinner for Miss Nott and Mr Scamander," excitement filled the elf as she bounced up and down. It was almost alarming to see a house elf bursting with energy, but then again, the Nott's family house elf trudged through his existence. To describe his life, Ariadne would say think of the colour grey.

"Yeah," she glanced up at Theseus who lifted his lips at the elf. It was one of the only times she saw him smile while she was in the room. So used to receiving glares and scowls, Ariadne almost forgot how painfully handsome he looked. "We would like that a lot."

"Then Bombey must get to work!" Theseus watched Ariadne smile at the house elf. Though her smile slowly faded as she watched Bombey disappear as quickly as she came. It had been happening a lot, not that Theseus was watching. He had just happened to notice the way her face contorted into a deep frown, something she did when she was deep in thought.

"I'll be upstairs," she said without glancing at him. Her hand clutched the watch tightly, the tip of the clock dug into her skin. A poor attempt at concealing the object but it worked like a charm.