023 crash the party

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Soft classical music played as Ariadne entered. The party was held in Barracus' manor. Coming from a rich pureblood family, his manor was as grand as the Nott's. Ariadne couldn't lie, these gatherings brought back a lot of unwanted memories, but nonetheless, she pushed them right back inside her mind. Smoothing out her dress, the light makeup on her face made unfamiliar men glance at her which she outrightly ignored. Her eyes skimmed over the crowd, hoping to find someone familiar.

"Hey," Melinda bumped into the girl, bringing Bailey along with her. Theseus not with the pair. "How are you feeling?" she asked cheerfully.

"Like I want to get out," Ariadne opined, her voice less enthusiastic.

"Can't do that. Rumour has it that Barracus might announce the new Head Auror," Bailey smiled, nudging the brunette girl who rolled her eyes.

"Well, then I'll leave after the announcement."

"You're no fun," Melinda put in, jest in her voice.

"Where's Theseus," she asked, innocently while Melinda and Bailey shared a glance.

"Over there, talking to Yaxley," Bailey pointed out. Theseus was easy to spot in the crowd and Ariadne watched as he shared a laugh with the older man.

"Ugh, Yaxley sucks."

"Agreed," and Melinda poked him in the ribs, "What?" he looked down at the younger witch who had a disapproving smile on her lips. Ariadne glanced between the two of them, curiously. "Oh look, here comes Theseus." With a smile on his face, the fourth member of their group joined the conversation.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Theseus asked, watching as each of his friends stared at him differently.

"What's with the hair?" Bailey questioned, reaching out to touch it only for Theseus to swat away his hand. His slightly wavy curls had been pushed straight back. Even so, Ariadne couldn't help but notice how devilishly handsome he looked.

"What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing," Melinda quickly started, "It's just..."

"Different," Ariadne finished, helping the witch who seemed lost for words.

"Yeah."

"Different, bad?"

"We'll leave that for you to decide," Bailey answered, quickly patting the taller auror on the shoulder. Both Melinda and Bailey shared a glance before a smug smile slowly crept on their faces.

"I love this tune," Melinda began, a soft false sincerity in her voice.

"Really?" Bailey glanced down at the raven witch, "Dance with me," he dramatically bowed, holding his hand out.