009 confined feelings

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"You too, huh?" a boy sat down next to her. Ariadne was sitting in the corner table, hoping to hide from everyone at this party. Her earrings were getting heavy, her feet began to hurt, and she was growing tired of it all. Ariadne watched the boy with peering eyes. She knew of him and he knew of her but they had never talked.

Well until now.

"I've always hated these things," he commented, watching as couples glided through the dance floor, elegantly waltzing to an unfamiliar tune. Others chatted with each other, sneaking glances of distaste at other groups.

"Can't hate them more than me," she muttered, giving him a small smile.

"Is that so?" he stuck out a hand, "Edwin Flint," she already knew that.

"Ariadne Nott," he already knew that.

"So you're the girl that Caelum hates," he mused, his eyes glancing over to Malfoy who was currently standing next to a girl who was rejecting his dance offer.

"Glad to know my feelings are reciprocated," she joked and he snorted. He broke through her defensive barriers and they lightly conversed under the dim lights. It wasn't long until Ariadne's father came, grabbing her arm tightly as he told his daughter that they were heading home.

"I don't want you associating with that boy," Silas Nott commanded, his fingers almost crushing his daughter's forearm as he led them out of the ballroom.

"Why?" Ariadne asked innocently, almost tripping over her dress as she struggled to keep up with her father's fast pace.

"Why? Have you not heard?" Silas denounced, "His family is a disgrace. I have no idea why Marcia invited them," the older man sent a glare over his shoulder, directed at who? Ariadne wasn't sure. She kept her head down, well aware that she was walking over eggshells. The younger girl did not want to upset her father further.

"Sorry, I was not aware."

"You are now. Don't let it happen again," they passed their hostess, Marcia Cycad, who bid them goodbye and smiled kindly at Ariadne. They found Ariadne's mother and apparate home.

"Go to bed," Cressida Nott instructed. Upstairs she threw off her dress, getting into something more comfortable. That was when she heard a soft tap on her window. As she squinted out into the snowy grounds, an owl flapped, tapping on the window with its beak.

Ariadne tried to shoo it away. Her father had locked the window with a charm. She couldn't reach it if she tried. The bird would only cause a noise that would get her parents suspicious. Ariadne couldn't decipher whose owl it was but it clearly knew her. After a while, the owl just stared at her before flying away. Ariadne sighed, relieved.

Soon after, Ariadne excused herself, returning to the house she was sharing with Theseus. The empty rooms brought her comfort, contrasting with the feeling of confinement that she experienced in Flint's cell. She wanted to cry, seeing Flint again surfaced vulnerably she hadn't seen in herself for so long. He was the only one who knew of the life she lived behind closed doors. He was the only one who she could turn to because they were going through the same thing. He was her friend when she needed one in their early years. It was disheartening to see him become exactly what they wanted him to be. Staring out into the street, it poured down from above. Rain covered the streets of Paris. Ariadne brought out the pocket watch. It was cold, smooth and felt delicate.

"Marcet sine adversario virtus," she whispered. There was a moment of silence before the clogs started turning backwards. They stopped as the hour hand aligned with the larger hand, pointing at midnight. In an instant, the protective glass case flicked open, revealing a Gringott's vault key.

It wasn't long until Theseus arrived, dripping wet from head to toe; nothing a quick spell couldn't fix.

"Isaiah talked," he started as Ariadne continued to stare out.

"What'd he say?"

"Nothing useful," Theseus answered truthfully, "But that was all he knew," there was a moment of silence, both of them watching the rain that fell, "How does Flint know you?"

"We were in the same year level, remember?" there was a bitter tone in his voice that made Ariadne cringe internally.

"He was friends with Malfoy?" he asked accusingly.

"He was nicer than Malfoy," she shot back, finally turning to him. Not every Slytherin is a bully, she wanted to yell but thought better of it as another thought coming to her mind, "Flint said that Grindelwald wanted to meet me," Theseus' head snapped to Ariadne's side profile, her eyes glued to the rain.

"Why would he want that?" she turned her head his way before glancing back to the window.

"I don't know."

"Ariadne. I can tell when you lie," he huffed, anger threatening to overflow, "I want the truth. I am sick of your lies and your cryptic answers."

"What makes you think you are entitled to know?" she argued. Her words came out slowly like dripping poison, "You don't talk to me. How can you expect me to tell you anything at all?" anger wrapped around the both of them, like a sticky string, pulling them both into an inescapable pit.

"I don't. I just hoped you'd tell me things regarding our mission. You want to catch Grindelwald, don't you?" he chastised, bottled-up frustrated feelings now arising.

"Don't do that," Ariadne fumed, standing up now, "You know I do."

"It doesn't seem like you do."

"I don't take joy when he parades around the street, building an uproar in people who want to rule over muggles," she snapped.

"Really?" he gibed, taking a step forward.

"You need to calm down," she commanded, jabbing her finger into his chest, "I am not dealing with a child's tantrum," she glared at him as she walked past. He scoffed but said nothing, running his hand through his face. Her footsteps were heavy as she travelled up the stairs, finding sanctuary in her given room.

[1016 words]

a/n

the aesthetic board at the top is actually my favourite one ive done so far, let's all appreciate it. also theyre getting even more heated in their arguments, that wont change anytime soon, dw.

don't forget to vote and comment!

kjlyds