031 quite the contrary

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Hey." Ariadne knew who it was without even looking up. She could recognise his footsteps, his voice. She didn't bother glancing up as she continued packing. When she made a sound of acknowledgment, he continued, "I freed up my schedule. I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me?" Ariadne glanced up, shock evident on her face from his proposal.

"Oh."

"It's okay if you can't. I was just hoping that you would since we haven't caught up in forever and I know that it's partially my fault but-"

"I can't do tonight," she said slowly, interrupting his rambling. She wished she could, however Dumbledore had planned a meeting today. Why couldn't he have asked her on the six other days that she was free this week? And would it be so bad to ditch Dumbledore and have dinner with Theseus. Even so, she couldn't. Stopping Grindelwald was more important than her relationship with Theseus. She needed to do this.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry," Ariadne muttered, "I really wish I could," maybe this was Theseus' karma for forgetting Ariadne's birthday or maybe this was the world hating on Ariadne. But she wasn't lying when she told him she wanted to come. Her friendship with him was straining since he started his position. It just felt different. In the past ten months, nothing felt the way it did before.

"It's okay," he let out, dejected at her rejection.

"You should have dinner with Melinda and Bailey though," Ariadne suggested, something to ease the disappointment as she grabbed her coat, "They miss you," she didn't want to say she did too; that would be embarrassing. "Enjoy your evening, Theseus."

"You too."

Glancing behind her, Ariadne made sure she was not followed. Darkness began to cover the streets of London as the sun began to sink. Streetlamps flickered on and the evening stars began to reveal themselves. The quietness of a Tuesday night made Ariadne weary but nonetheless she carried her head high. Walking through an alleyway connecting two streets, familiar voices made Ariadne halter.

"This isn't part of the plan," Edwin Flint's hushed voice carried irritation.

"Pity. I think we remember the plan very differently," an unknown man seethed. He had his back towards Ariadne as Edwin moved his hand up his face. Slowly creeping back into the shadows, Ariadne pressed her back against the brick wall, hiding herself from Edwin's view.

"He won't be happy with you," Edwin snapped and Ariadne had never heard him so frustrated.

"I believe quite the contrary." Ariadne could almost hear the smirk on his face, almost like this man wanted the downfall of Edwin.

"This is my mission."

"Exactly," Ariadne let out a little gasp when a hand tapped her shoulder. A black glove floated, motioning for Ariadne to reach for it. Edwin and the man both froze when they heard the gasp. They headed carefully to the alleyway, holding their wands out. Ready to blast a spell, they stopped when the emptiness of the passageway stood in view.

Up above London, Ariadne stumbled as she landed on the rooftops of houses. Dumbledore was waiting for her as he stood a few metres away from her. The cold wind was sweeping through and Ariadne's hair danced around. The view was spectacular and reminded Ariadne of the Christmas night with Theseus. Ugh, he needs to get out of my head.

"Did you hear that too?" Ariadne asked, her heart still pacing. Dumbledore started walking along the roof's ridge and Ariadne was left to follow.

"Seems like Grindelwald's followers are falling apart," he called out.

"More like one," she muttered, struggling to keep up with Dumbledore's fast pace.

"Grindelwald is only as powerful as he is because of his followers," Dumbledore began, "The first step to taking him down is to break the unity."

"Was that you?" Ariadne questioned and the only answer she got was his small smile.

"I have a big mission for you," he held his hands behind his back.

"Go on."

"How would you like to go to America?"

[678 words]

a/n

anyways 1989 taylor's version is out, how are we feeling?

kjlyds