027 the war hero & the fool

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Before she could make her way further into the crowd, Theseus found her. "I believe you owe me a dance."

"Jealous? Do not worry, I believe he could have been our professor," she mocked as Theseus rolled his eyes. Now that her curiosity wasn't prompted by the man in front of her, Ariadne glanced around. The dance floor was created through a barrier by those not dancing. The gliding couples danced in front of hovering instruments, all playing a soft waltzing tune in harmony. Witches' dresses flowed neatly as they moved with the rhythm. Everything was flawless.

"I have to be honest, I don't know how to dance," his hand went to the back of his neck as Ariadne stared up at him. There was shock in her eyes as he bashfully turned away.

"The golden boy of his prime doesn't know how to dance?"

Theseus groaned at the nickname, "How do you still remember that?"

"I don't know what you mean?" She feigned shock as she dragged Theseus to the dance floor. Ariadne guided Theseus' right hand on her hip as she interlocked their fingers. Warmth seeped in as they inched closer together. She stepped backwards and he followed. She stepped to the side and he followed. A simple motion to guide his first dance, except he seemed more graceful than Ariadne, which was saying something since all pureblooded witches had to learn ballroom dances to appease their 'perfect' pureblooded mothers. Lifting her brows slightly, she raised her hand, twirling Theseus around while laughing at how awkwardly he turned. Theseus caught the couples beside glancing distastefully at them and in that moment, he realised he would do anything to hear her laugh like that.

"I think you're quite the natural," Ariadne commented, her smile as big as ever.

"Why thank you," they were close, too close. Ariadne was sure he could hear how fast her heart was beating. She wanted to pull him closer and push him away at the same time. How could he just make her feel like that? He seemed to notice a shift in her mind, "How about we greet a few more people then leave?"

"Are you granting me freedom?"

"Not exactly," the song ended and Theseus led Ariadne away from the dancing couples, his hand holding hers. Her heart was hammering in her chest as stared at his back. 'Pull yourself together,' and she did when she spotted who they were headed towards. Travers stood next to three other men that Ariadne could not put names to. Tugging her hand out of Theseus' hold, she quickly spotted Melinda standing near the refreshment tables. As Theseus turned back at her, she gave a small teasing wave as she pointed to the other woman. Without staying for his reaction, she left.

Greeting the witch with a smile, Ariadne grabbed a drink from the white clothed table.

"I saw you enter with Theseus," Melinda teased, raising her eyebrows at Ariadne who narrowed her eyes at the shorter witch.