054 victim analysis

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"What were you doing at the manor?"

"I attended the party."

"What did you do when you saw him?" Wilton asked and for the hundredth time this hour, Ariadne sighed to herself.

"I told Theseus to not pull out his wand and then we left," she said simply, already fed up with the men sitting in front of her. Since the events over the weekend, Wilton had been called back to London and was currently interviewing a witness: Ariadne. She didn't understand why she was sitting in an interrogation room, Wilton in front of her as Travers and Theseus sat on either side of him. She didn't understand why she couldn't just write the report herself, considering that she was the one who experienced the event.

"And you weren't trying to protect your father when you told Scamander to put his wand down?"

"For the last time, I did not know he was going to be there. And I told Theseus not to pull out his wand because it would not end well for the both of us," Ariadne reiterated, beyond bored and annoyed. How many times would she have to say the truth for them to believe her? "Would you like me to repeat that again? Clearly none of my words this hour have been absorbed through your thick skull." Theseus glanced down, hiding a smile that threatened to slip out. Wilton narrowed his eyes. If Travers wasn't here Ariadne was almost sure he would retort back, but the auror was trying to appear professional in front of his superior.

After a few more questions that were the same just worded differently, Ariadne was finally released from the dark room. Her chair screeched against the floor and she didn't bother shaking their hands before leaving. Only talking a few steps out into the corridor, Theseus caught up with her. His fingers brushed against her hand causing her to tense.

"Are you okay?" Theseus asked.

"Are you really asking me that?" Ariadne shot back, her feet heavy on the marble ground.

"Ariadne." He grabbed her wrist, stopping her from storming away. A glare was almost apparent in her features as she stared up at him.

"What?"

"You want to help but both Wilton and Travers won't accept it with your attitude."

"I'm the one they need," she pointed out, "I know everything about my father. They don't."

"And yet look at where you are," Theseus concluded. He must have known his words were harsh as regret and guilt were painted on his face. "Look, I'm trying to convince them but they really don't want you on it." Ariadne hated the way he looked at her. She hated this feeling. Softness that had no place here. She hated that after their almost kiss, she had to pretend like nothing had changed. Like friends have those moments that alter each other's heartbeat, wanting to get away even while longing for each other to make the first move.