038 it's a dinner party

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

The clinking of cutlery on glass filled the quietness as Ariadne sat next to Queenie. She watched awkwardly as the blonde witch leaned forward, captivating Jacob's eyes. He was a bit drowsy as he wobbled on his hand. Merlin, where is Tina finding these men? Glancing to her right, it seemed like Tina was thinking the same thing as her eyes cautiously darted between her sister and the No-Maj.

"The job ain't that glamorous. I mean, I spend most days making coffee, unjinxing the john. Tina's the career girl," a small smile was shared between the two sisters. The window brought a soft breeze that made the candles flicker ever so slightly. "Nah, we're orphans. Ma and Pa died of dragon pox when we were kids," a little unnerved by the mindreading, Jacob lifted his head of his hand. "Aww. You're sweet. But we got each other," Jacob eye's dazedly flickered between the sisters.

"Could you stop reading my mind for a second?"

"Oh," Queenie backed away slowly, lifting her hand from the table as hurt covered her features.

"Don't get me wrong, I love it," Jacob offered and Queenie giggled, "This meal, it's insanely good! This is what I do. I'm a cook and this is, like, the greatest meal I have ever had in my life," Queenie burst out laughing, Jacob joining her. Ariadne glanced at both Tina and Newt before staring down at her empty plate.

"Oh you slay me! I ain't never really talked to a No-Maj before," her words softened as she placed her hand back on the table.

"Really?" he asked, copying her moment to become closer to her.

Slowly, Queenie's eyes moved to Tina before retracting her arm, "I am not flirting."

With all eyes on her, Tina stuttered, "I'm just saying. Don't go getting attached, he's going to have to be obliviated. It's nothing personal," she said, turning to Jacob.

"Oh, hey, you okay, honey?" Queenie fretted as Jacob used a napkin to wipe off sweat, feeling flushed.

"Miss Goldstein, I think Mr Kowalski could do with an early night," Newt began, standing up, "And besides, you and I will need to be up early tomorrow morning to find my Niffler, so-"

"What's a Niffler?" Queenie questioned, turning to Tina.

"Don't ask. Okay you guys can bunk in here," Newt froze, a little surprised by her offer. Tina raised her brows slightly before Newt helped Jacob up. The two men left to get settled, following Tina while Ariadne helped Queenie clean up.

"I don't know if I love or hate the silence of your mind," Queenie disclosed, her eyes on the plates that flew above, some shining bright while others made their way to the sink.

"You look happier," Ariadne smiled to herself, staring at the sink while Queenie's eyes flew to her face.

"Oh, shush," there was a tint of blush on Queenie's cheeks. She cleared her throat when her voice came out higher, "There's a law you know. Can't marry 'em."

"Oh."

"Let's not fret about that," the blonde witch insisted, "Tell me, how is work?"

"Hectic. I think I might have to go back after this," Ariadne responded truthfully.

"That, my dear, is called overworking," Queenie mused, "Teen used to skip dinner just to stay at the office then look at me as if I'd grown another head when I told her she was overdoing it."

"This is important to me," Ariadne uttered, placing a soft hand on Queenie's. Her sympathetic eyes made Ariadne's heart swell.

"Only if you get some sleep tonight," Queenie lectured, filling her voice with a playful sternness as Ariadne let out a small chuckle. Tina walked back in and the two women smiled up at her. "Shall we make them cocoa?"

[627 words]