Chapter Five

Zach

After being untimely woken up by Cameron chasing Leah around the house the day before, my trying to return to sleep was a lost cause. I talked to my roommates to understand how duties were divided around the house and how they travelled to university. At least until Ms. Scowl came waltzing in.

From what I learnt, before I came, duties were divided into two pairs- Leah - Cameron and Xander - Charlie. Xander told me to join the first duo because, according to him, "They clearly needed help."

He also informed me that only one bus dropped us off outside Uni, which came once every two hours. Otherwise, the other bus took a longer route and halted about ten minutes from the campus. The positive part about the second option was that it came every twenty minutes.

"Perks of going to college an hour away." Cameron piped in, looking up from his ice cream cup. Xander threw a pillow at the sarcasm.

During my conversation with them, one piece of information caught my attention: Leah was a senior in high school and not a college student. That meant there was a high chance that she went to the same school as Cassie, and if luck was on my side, she knew her. Maybe Leah can help me, I thought before shaking my head. She doesn't seem too fond of me.

Also, though I figured she was the youngest of the bunch, I wouldn't have thought of her as a high school student. She looked older than a sixteen or seventeen-year-old.

"Zach, ready to leave?" Cameron pulled me out of my thoughts. I was waiting on the couch when he called, making me get up and walk towards the staircase, where he stood. A turquoise and black backpack hung from one of his shoulders as he bent down to tie his shoelaces.

Since it was my first day of classes, he had offered to guide me to the buses.

"See that All-Thing Mart," Cameron pointed to a supermarket across the main road, where we reached, "that is where we normally get all our stuff."

There were a lot of stores on the main road, including but not limited to a hardware store, bicycle shop, Chinese Wok, ice cream shop, and furniture store. Despite spending quite some time in Ashetown, I had rarely been to this part of the neighbourhood.

Soon, we were standing at the bus stop. About six minutes later, we boarded the direct bus. The rest of the way was spent discussing our respective courses. Feeling my phone vibrate, I checked it to find Charlie's reply to my earlier text.

-At 09:03-

Hey

I heard from Xander that you are majoring in Finance and are in your third year.

I am doing the same thing. Is it possible for you to help me catch up?

-At 10:37-

Charlie: Hey Zach! I'm really sorry we haven't been able to talk properly.

Let's meet for coffee after the 11 am class?

-At 10:40-

Works for me.

In the two days I spent at Fir Street, I barely came across Charlie, whereas Leah spent the entire Sunday at our place. Yet, I did not receive as little as a smile or a 'hi' from her.

Wait, I did get something. Scowls and ignorance, whether it was her being in the kitchen at the same time as me or me coming down the stairs when she entered through the door. It should trouble me less that some random person was as disinterested in talking to me as she was; however, it always did.

How did I even end up being on that receiving end?

All I had done when we first met was assume that she was a boy. Oh. That.

"We are here."

I followed my roommate's line of sight and turned right. Brown and beige buildings with posters hanging on each came into view. On getting closer, I could see those posters were suitable graffiti of the respective subjects, which I assumed, were taught in them.

Wide stairs led to the granite path going towards the white building of 'The Admin Office.' Plantations could be seen on either side of the steps leading to the campus, accompanied by granite benches at a distance of a few feet. Grassy patches lay beside the paths that we walked on.

The late morning air was buzzing with conversations, music and energy.

"See those blocks on the left, that is where my classes are held- the ones with subjects coming under Science. On walking straight and then right, that is the Commerce block where most of Charlie's and now, your classes are held." He completed, turning to me and stopping.

"Thanks, Cameron."

"Oh, cut it. Call me Cam." He huffed. I smiled. From what I had seen, he was that sunny person to whom anyone could warm up easily.

"Thanks, Cam."

He bowed dramatically, "With pleasure. I have to meet my prof now, so I'll take your leave. Have a good day!"

"You too." And with that, I was on my own.

In the office, there was an old man in a woollen sweater, his protruding belly almost pushed out a button. He was looking through some papers, spectacles barely settling on his nose.

"Excuse me, sir?"

He looked at me while adjusting his eyewear. "Yes?"

"I just joined today," I told him. He stared a few seconds before nodding in understanding.

"Name and course?"

"Zachary Smith. Finance, third year." After opening a drawer and checking two or three papers, he settled on one. "You have already been sent the schedule and syllabus, correct?"

"Yes."

"Here is the map and your approval letter for late admission. Get two passport-sized photos tomorrow; you will get your ID card by Wednesday."

I took the map and thanked him. Following instructions from Camer - Cam - and the map, I reached the building.

About five minutes and a little bit of asking later, I stood in front of a lecture hall.

Many students were already filling the last and middle seats, and some were still entering the class. I took a deep breath before allowing my feet to enter, "Here goes nothing."

-x-

Happy readinggg!! 

- Sam <3