Chapter Seven

Zach

It was about 5 pm when we returned from university.

"Thank you for helping, Charlie. I didn't think they would cover so much in a month." I said, getting off the bus - 89. It turned out that a 10-minute walk to the bus stop could be a better option than waiting one hour. Should have been obvious.

"Yeah, they are were going on about us being in the third year and buckling up. Usual crap." Charlie shook her head, remembering the ridiculous motivational speeches. One was given in the first lecture too. "I'll go to the Yellow Brick House and be back with notes on the other subjects. I hope Lee made something good."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as we stood on the street where our houses stood. I questioned, "Yellow Brick House?"

She looked at me and pointed toward where she and Leah lived: a yellow brick house. My lips formed an 'O.' Charlie nodded, "Yup."

Removing the left strap, I slung my backpack to the front to find the keys. Surprisingly, the door was unlocked when I entered. Xander and Cam had already told me they would be going to the gym directly from the university, which led me to wonder who was there.

In the living room, a small figure lay curled up on the couch, and a worn-out dark grey bag was thrown on the floor right in the way of someone to trip. The roughly cut short hair was a clear indication of who was sleeping. I removed the free-fall hazard and moved in front of where Leah slept, a few black strands falling on her closed eyelids. Peace was a new shade on her face.

However, her neck was positioned at an awkward angle I was sure would hurt later. Even her arm was hanging off. The couch was spacious enough to fit three people but definitely not comfortable enough for someone to sleep on.

Cassie and Alice used to do the same thing: fall asleep on a couch that was too small to fit the two of them after watching a movie. Then grandpa and I would get them to their room, trying not to wake them up.

Thinking about them urged me to do something about Leah, to make her more comfortable.

I should just let her be. There was no saying of what her reaction would be in case she woke up.

Yet, I stood there. Maybe adjusting her neck would be a good idea.

Outside, I heard the door open, and Charlie's voice reached the room before she did, "Is Lee here?"

My eyes looked at the sleeping figure, my sight followed by her roommate. I walked to her.

"She is sleeping at an awkward angle. Her neck will ache later."

"I'll take her to Xander's room."

"Let me help." I offered, "You must be tired."

"It is fine." She insisted and walked to Leah. After tapping her roommate's hand twice, Charlie whispered to get up, only to get a 'go away' as a reply. But, the sleeping figure did turn into a better position. I remembered something and walked briskly to the stairs after gesturing to wait a minute.

Placing my bag near the table leg, I spotted the Moana and Maui cushion on my bed. A flash of the brightest smile on my sister's face flashed in front of my eye from the day I bought it. My fingers involuntarily curled back when I bent to pick the small pillow.

Should I offer it, I wondered. Shaking my head, I grabbed it up and went back. Charlie was looking at her roommate with a helpless expression. There was a hint of a frown in her raven-coloured eyes. She glanced at me and shrugged.

I went ahead and stood near the side where Leah's head was. Kneeling on the ground, I carefully let my fingers slip around her head and gently raised it enough to place the small cushion. She immediately adjusted her hands around it, making me smile.

"Cute pillow." My classmate complimented the comforter as soon as we came out of the living room. Rubbing the back of my neck, I looked at the couch and said with a smile, "It belongs to my little sister."

"You have a sister?" She asked, surprised.

"Two of them," I admitted. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned them. Bringing them into conversation with people I met only a few days ago was unintended.

"Are they back at home?"

"Yeah." Ashetown was home, not where I travelled from. "Anyway, did you eat anything?"

"No, Lee was supposed to be making lunch. I came here when I found the house empty, and then I was told she got involved in some quarrel at school." Charlie sighed, sitting on one of the high chairs in the kitchen near the counter. "I'll go cook something."

The tiniest flame of curiosity sparked at the mention of Ms. Scowl getting into a quarrel, but I resisted. It wasn't any of my business.

"Wait." I stopped Charlie. Although it had been a tiring day- even more for her since she had travelled to college before 8 am- I felt like cooking. It was just something I prefered to do after a tiring day. Earlier, I did it with my siblings and grandparents, and now maybe I'll be able to do it with my roommates.

"I am cooking anyway, I'd prefer the company."

Relief flooded her exhausted smile, "Thanks, Zach. Are you sure, though?"

"Positive."

Then I got to work, later joined by her. After about an hour after I had changed and freshened up, Cam and Xander returned.

"What smells so delicious?" Cam asked, entering the kitchen where Charlie was catching me up on the notes we left during the day. She turned back, "Zach made dinner."

He eagerly went to the utensils and almost touched the food.

"Cam!"

"Wash your hands!" Xander and Charlie scolded him together, making him whine in protest. "I am hungry!"

From what I had noticed, Cam was the childish one of the group. But, it was that kind of childishness, which came out only when one was in a comfortable and free space. Somewhere they can be themselves.

"What is going on here?" A sleepy voice muttered. Everyone standing near the counter turned to the new voice. Leah stood at the door in a grey t-shirt and cargo shorts, similar to the ones she wore on the first day we met. A few pink lines were imprinted on her left cheek, thanks to the couch, while she rubbed her eyes.

Charlie spoke, "We were going to set up the table. Come have dinner." Then, she closed her laptop and the books laid out.

"You both made the food, we'll set the table." Xander offered, "Just give us 10 minutes to change. Lee, you are helping too."

-x-

Happy reading :D

How did you like the chapter?

- Sam <3