Chapter Twelve

Happy reading!!

Remember to VOTE and COMMENT :D

- Sam <3

-x-

Leah

Plain brown eyes dull with emotion stared back at me as I looked at the figure with roughly cropped chocolate brown hair, wearing a cream-knitted sweatshirt and faded black jeans. The reflection raised its hand as I patted my hair to smoothen them.

The thought of staying back flowed in my mind for the umpteenth time. I could remain alone on Thanksgiving, and no one would care.

But they would, the voice in my head whispered. Despite what I thought, I could imagine the frown on Charlie's face and the concern in Cam and Xander's eyes. My selfish reasons were not worth it. For whatever reason, they seemed to care about me.

Just a few hours and it would be over, I assured myself. I moved towards the door, grabbing my wallet and phone from the nightstand. Across the hallway, Charlie came out at the same time. She wore a pastel pink dress that flowed past her waist to a little above her knees. It was covered with a subtle white floral pattern, and the dress was paired with white bead earrings and a pendant. Neat and graceful, like herself. Her untied hair fell past her shoulders till her elbow, with slight curls towards the end.

"You look good." My roommate complimented me with a smile. As I began to speak, she snapped her fingers excitedly and let go of the white Converse shoes before returning to her room. "I have something for you!"

I stayed in my place until she returned with a beady wristband. It was white with tiny colourful spots covering each stone. Surprisingly, it did not repel me at first sight.

Seeing her excitement, I didn't resist as she took my hand and slid the piece of jewellery around my empty wrist. After all, it was Thanksgiving, and I was growing to be grateful for her.

The sound of a notification from her phone caught our attention. She glanced at it, "They are ready. Let's go."

The three guys wore similar outfits with varying colours. Xander wore a navy blue sweatshirt, Cam a red and white striped shirt, and Zach wore a maroon sweater with the baby blue shirt collar neatly placed around the neck.

"You girls look pretty." Cam complimented. I raised my eyebrow as my roommate thanked him. "Like this?" I raised my collar to ask him. Pretty in a bob cut and sweatshirt?

"Lee," Xander called her softly, "You can look pretty in a sweatshirt."

"Whatever. Let's take the bus and leave."

Once everyone got on the bus, Charlie came up beside me. "You alright?"

"Peachy."

"I know the way I convinced you could have been better. I should've been more understanding." Guilt shone from her eyes.

" Just assume it to be a casual dinner and come. They will appreciate it."

"And what about me?"

"It is not all about you, Leah. They have been trying. Please show up for a while." She took a pause as if thinking carefully before speaking. "I know it has been a hard year for you with your foster parents, but it is Thanksgiving. You don't have to spend it alone."

I wanted to tell her that deep down I was glad to be invited and not left to spend Thanksgiving alone, especially with my ex-foster parents and Jason back in Ashetown.

Did they miss me?

The dull ache in my chest started burning, making me immediately put a pause on it. "No."