Chapter Fifteen

Remember to VOTE and COMMENT please :D

Happy reading!

- Sam <3

...

Zach

3 years ago

"Aunt Thea, look what I made!" A 10-year-old Alice rushed into the kitchen, one hand pulling in a woman wearing a messy bun with strands falling down her face as she tumbled in.

"Honey, wait. Let me at least spit out the toothpaste."

"Look look! I mashed the potatoes." The little girl jumped in excitement, leaving her aunt unheard.

"Alice, where is your brother?" I made my way around the counter to distract my youngest sister and let Aunt Thea go. Successfully, she turned to me, "He was reading that book you got him- Charlie and The Brownie Factory."

"Chocolate Factory." I corrected her. "Now, give me a hand at stirring those vegetables, will you?"

Aunt passed me a grateful look before leaving the room. Looking after four children couldn't have been easy for her, even with the help of Grandma and Grandpa. At 35, divorced four years after a love marriage and with occupation as a surgeon, Aunt Thea managed to be present in our lives more than our parents had ever been. Initially, she had reservations about us because of her relationship with her sister, our mother. The recent divorce had her move back with our grandparents as well.

Grandma Ella and Grandpa Blake, however, were more than happy to take us under their wing when I had been a little older than the twins are now. After marrying their youngest daughter off, they realized having an empty nest wasn't their thing.

"Zach," Cassie's voice travelled through the window facing the driveway. Glancing in that direction, I saw her hands filled with white boxes. "Help me!"

I chuckled at her stance before starting to move toward the door. She, too, disappeared from the window to go to the entrance.

"Zach!"

"Zach!"

Present

"Zach!" The reality flushed in a flash. I felt a hand on my arm pulling me. Still dazed, I hoped to find Cassie.

"What is wrong with you?" Brown orbs stared at me, along with three other pairs of eyes. "Charlie and Cam called your name thrice!"

My eyes registered the bus stand I did not realize we had reached and the empty road that held only a few parked cars at 1 am. We stayed with the Martins a little more to play some games after Olivia and David surprised Leah. The game night and the warm feeling of inclusiveness were like a breath of fresh air in my recently monotonous life of university classes and stinging guilt. My chest ached as the family-shaped hole in my heart intensified. I missed my family.

I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead. Shit.

"Listen," I called to grab the attention of my roommates and neighbours. "You guys go back, I need to go somewhere."

Leah narrowed her eyes. "Where?"

"Need to take a walk." I shrugged.

"Will you be able to return safely?" Charlie asked, fortunately distracting from her sister's question.

"Ye-,"

"I'll go with him." Ms. Scowl prompted. "Get him home safe." She grinned in pretence, making me wary of what she was thinking. The girl had moved to my side, her hand still on my arm.