8. Free

Y/n watched from the shadows as the Alliance, plus Jellal and Hoteye- or Richard as he now wished to be called- got trapped in an enchantment.

She had succeeded in destroying her lacrima, helping the allied forces destroy Nirvana and save the Cait Shelter guild. But her leg was in much worse shape than she'd originally thought and once the job was done she'd promptly collapsed. She had managed to stagger towards the group, following their magic energy as well as the faint sound of voices through the woods.

Y/n had stopped at the top of the hill, trying to catch her breath. She cursed when she looked down to see that an enchantment had been set up around the unsuspecting wizards below.

"There's no need to panic, we mean you no harm," Lahar stated, breaking rank so that he could step closer to the enchantment's barrier. "I am sorry about this, but we needed to do something to restrain them,"

"Who the heck are you!?" Happy demanded.

"I am the captain of the new Magic Council's Custody Enforcement Unit, Lahar,"

Y/n listened as the guild wizards murmured amongst themselves about the speed in which the council rebuilt itself.

Lahar raised a hand for silence."It is my duty to uphold the law and preserve justice across the land- all evildoers must be arrested!"

Y/n grimaced, her nose scrunching up in distaste Joy...

"But we're not evildoers!" Carla protested.

Happy nodded in agreement. "I don't get why we're in trouble when we didn't even do anything wrong!"

"At least, not that we know of," Natsu said, eyes widening.

Not really a good time to be saying things like that pinky, Y/n shook her head at Natsu's naivete. Way to convince them of your innocence.

"I am not here to arrest you," Lahar said. "I have orders to take the Oracion Seis into custody,"

Y/n sighed slightly, observing quietly as Richard went with them. She smiled softly as Erza revealed that she knew his brother, Wally and that he was doing well.

She watched, conflicted, as the wizards below argued with Lahar about Jellal's arrest. They stated that he wasn't himself, that he didn't remember what he'd done, but Lahar stayed firm with his ruling. Y/n watched as they prepared to fight, wanting to join them but she knew her wound would only serve as a hindrance.

She sighed as Jellal was lead away. Y/n knew little of Jellal's past crimes but she believed him to be a good person. Besides, she couldn't judge people on their pasts when her own was dark and bloody.

"And you?" Lahar asked, turning to y/n's hiding spot and making direct eye contact with the girl. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm just a lone wizard," she replied cooly, limping out of the shadows. "I was passing by and decided to lend a hand- is there a problem with that, officer?"

He narrowed his eyes at her, analyzing her thoroughly. "No, not at all. thank you for your help,"

"Anytime," she said, returning his gaze with a harsh glare.

Lahar gave her one last glance before moving out, his men following behind him.

***

"I can't believe it! We're joining Fairy Tail!" Wendy exclaimed, her excitement shining like stars in her eyes.

"You sure you want me to join?" Y/n asked, glancing down at her shoulder where the mark of the Serpent had once lain. "With all I've done?"

"Of course, you're a formidable ally," Erza smiled. "Besides, Fairy Tail has never shone away from accepting mages with... questionable pasts,"