40. Father Dearest

I cannot express how sorry I am for how long this has taken. But school is done so there's nothing to get between me and writing. Except of course when I'm without the internet which will be happening numerous times this summer.

Either way, I really am sorry. This isn't my best work but I hope you enjoy nonetheless.

~~~

The trees bent and the leaves hissed as a cold wind blew through the clearing. It whistled lowly, toying with the hair of the two figures who stood staring each other down. The air was thick with both tension and magic power as they stared each other down. It was as if they were at a stalemate, neither of them willing to make the next move.

"What do you want?" Y/n growled, breaking the silence. Her arms were crossed as she glared up into Acnologia's eyes.

"I'm surprised you came," he said, ignoring her completely. "I was under the impression you hated me,"

"Don't expect it to be a regular thing,"

"No, of course not," He shook his head almost mockingly.

"What do you want?" y/n repeated her earlier question. Her lips curled up as a deep snarl rumbled from her throat.

"Who says I want anything?" Acnologia asked with a nonchalant shrug. "Does a dragon need a reason to visit his daughter?"

"I'm not your daughter," she spat the words like venom. Her e/c eyes were ablaze with a flurry of emotions. "And considering your hatred for people, yes. Yes, you do,"

The tension was palpable as it went quiet between them. It sat thick and heavy on their shoulders but neither one acknowledged it. Y/n glared as Acnologia stepped towards her, standing her ground, her fists clenched at her sides. His fingers brushed her chin, tilting her head up slightly.

"I missed you," he said, walking a half-circle around the girl. "We saw each other for the first time in years on Tenrou,"

"Oh yeah!" Y/n snapped her fingers as if she was remembering a fond memory, pointing to Acnologia with a plastic smile. "When you tried to kill me and my guildmates,"

"You did well that day," Her smile dropped at his words. She tensed, shoulders rigid as he continued. "Perhaps If you hadn't already been injured you would have fared better,"

"If you called me here for a rematch forget it,"

"I did not," he stated, raising his arm up in a pacifying manner. "I just want to talk,"

"Then talk,"

Silence fell over them as Anologia stopped his pacing. He stood before y/n, his arm behind his back. He regarded her carefully, eyes narrowed. She shifted under the weight of his stare but met his gaze evenly. He nodded once before he spoke.

"The vermin with whom you've decided to align yourself with, this guild," he shook his head, nose curling in distaste. "You must know that it won't last,"

"What?"

"You're not like them. Your magic is dark. Your curse is darker. You're destructive and go against all that they stand for,"

Y/n ground her teeth as she bit back a growl. Her nails dug into her palms as he continued to speak. It wasn't like Acnologia was saying anything she hadn't thought of before.

In fact, in the stillest hours of the night when all the world was asleep, y/n often found herself tumbling deeper and deeper into a pit of anxieties and self-doubt. She often asked herself how long this would go on. How long it would take for her novelty to wear off. How long it would take before her guildmates would toss her to the side. But the words still hurt, stinging like a poisoned blade as he confirmed her fears.