35. As The Sun Sinks Down

Gajeel turned his attention to the doors of the guildhall as they swung open, a familiar scent wafting in. He saw Natsu enter first and his brow raised when he realized that the Salamander wasn't wearing his scarf. His expression dropped from curiosity and surprise to a scowl as y/n walked in after him, the cloth slung around her neck.

She left Natsu at the door, much to Gajeel's relief,.She made her way to where the girls sat around a table, talking idly amongst themselves.

"Hey," she greeted as she sat down.

Whatever conversation had been going on stopped as the table fell silent. Y/n shifted uncomfortably under all the stares.

"What?" her voice was hesitant, her eyes flickering around to each of their faces.

"You're wearing Natsu's scarf," Lucy said.

Y/n raised a brow. "Perceptive. Anyone have a useful answer?"

"No, it's just, I've never seen him without it," the blonde stated. "He even sleeps in the thing,"

"It's rare for him to remove the garment," Erza agreed with a nod. "Even more so to give let someone else wear it,"

"You'd have to ask him your questions," she said with a shrug. "He's the one who gave it to me,"

"Uh-huh, yeah," Cana said, dropping her now empty mug to the table with a thud. She leaned across the table so that she and y/n were face to face, noses brushing. She gazed deep into y/n's eyes, her own narrowed. "Take the scarf off,"

"Sure," She mumbled, removing it gingerly. She tilted her head to the side, eyes narrowing at the brunette's stare. "...Why?"

Cana shrugged as she leaned back. "Checking for hickies,"

"Why the hell would I have hickies?" she sputtered, her cheeks burning.

"Happy was saying Natsu didn't return home last night. Then he shows up with you this morning. You're wearing his scarf," Cana said counting on her fingers. "Shall I go on?"

"It's nothing really," y/n said, but they seemed unconvinced. She rolled her eyes as she turned around in her seat. "Here I'll prove it to you,"

A stray mug hit her in the face before she even had the chance to blink. She was quick to find the source, Natsu and Gray rolling around, fighting as per usual.

She sighed, wiping the trickle of blood from her lips. "You know what? It can wait,"

***

Y/n smiled slightly as she watched Cana down another bottle. The clock had barely struck noon and the brunette was already three-quarters of the way to alcohol poisoning. How Cana can drink so much and still be chipper in the morning was beyond y/n's comprehension.

She sat up straighter as a flash of blue caught her eye. Juvia. Y/n hadn't realized the water mage was there. Not all that surprising considering she was hiding back in the darkest corners of the guild. That was unlike Juvia.

Even more unlike her was the fact that she hadn't looked at Gray even once. Usually, the water mage was glued to his side, cheering him on and showering him with praise. It was disconcerting seeing her so meek.

"What's up with Juvia?" y/n asked, turning back to the rest of the table. "Is she doing okay?"

Levy shrugged, casting a concerned glance towards the corner. "I don't know. She's been acting odd all day,"

"No kidding," Lucy exclaimed. "I saw her brush past Gray without batting an eye,"

"I tried to ask her what was wrong, but she didn't reply," Levy said, turning the page of her book with a sigh. "I'm worried about her,"