55. Let The Night Begin

Here we go! New chapter time! We're only covering a bit of the king's banquet/party/thing in this because it would have been too long. Too many words, too long to write. Don't worry, though, you'll be getting the rest. Eventually.

~~~

"No."

"Oh, come on, why not?"

"He's a felon."

"And I understand that, really, I do. I'm just asking for one night."

"Y/n, stop, I don't care."

"Shut up," y/n snapped. "This isn't about you."

Cobra blinked. "Yes, it is? You're literally arguing-"

"Okay, Lahar, listen, I didn't want to have to do this but..." she paused for dramatic effect. Hands clasped behind her back she turned to face the Rune Knight. She took a step toward him and he tensed. "The King said that every wizard who helped defeat the dragons is to be present at the ball... Cobra is a wizard and he did fight the dragons."

Lahar raised a brow. "Your point?"

"I mean, I'd hate to be the one to defy an official decree from the king himself... But, hey, I'm not gonna stop you."

"I'm certain that His Majesty would not want a criminal in his halls."

"Technically speaking a lot of the wizards who will be in attendance could be considered criminals. Gajeel- Juvia even- for their part in the Phantom-Fairy Tail guild war. Laxus for setting Magnolia up to explode. Lyon for what happened at Galuna island. Don't even get me started on Natsu, destruction of property, arson..."

"And what about you?"

"What about me?" Y/n echoed. "Well, I suppose I did violate the inter-guild violence ban by fighting Grimoire Heart. I have been known to jaywalk. I have a couple outstanding fines at the library. One time I didn't tip the delivery guy nearly enough."

"Forget it," Lahar said, his tone authoritative. "We will be taking the convict back to prison and that's final."

"Final, final, or final like your plan to fire the Etherion on Tenrou final?" She asked.

"How do you know about that?" Lahar demanded.

She shrugged. "I know a lot of people. I hear a lot of things. You know how it is."

He opened his mouth as if to say something else, but she continued:

"Thank heavens Mest was able to convince you otherwise."

Doranbolt's shoulders stiffened.

"Oh, am I not supposed to remember that? Memory can be such a fickle thing," Y/n cocked her head to the side. "Speaking of, Mest, what do you remember of year X783?"

He set his jaw. "Lahar, I'm going to have a word with her, see if we can sort this out."

"Doranbolt, there's nothing to- Doranbolt."

But it was too late. Doranbolt had already teleported to y/n's side and disappeared with her. Lahar stared at the spot where they once stood. He turned his attention to Cobra. The poison dragon merely shrugged.

***

Y/n leaned against the palace wall, arms crossed over her chest. Her eyes were trained on the sky, a black expanse shining with stars. Her breath came out in a cloud, glowing silver in the starlight.

It wasn't particularly cold out but she'd been waiting for a while. She huffed. He wasn't coming, was he?

She shrugged her shoulders and turned to enter the castle. She froze at the low whoosh of teleportation magic and the appearance of two familiar scents. She turned, a grin spreading across her lips as she bounded down the steps to greet the two mages.