23. I Start A Forest Fire

Huge thank you to each and every one of you whether you've voted commented or not! This story now has over three thousand reads. That's insane. Thank you guys, really. You're all amazing.

~~~

"Thanks for not making a fuss about walking," y/n said, offering Lyon a half-smile.

"If you prefer to avoid taking the train then we won't take the train," Lyon said dismissively. "I wouldn't have you do something you dislike,"

Y/n looked at the ice mage, a hint of heat rising to her cheeks. She still wasn't completely used to people doing things for kindness' sake. Even then, those at Fairy Tail would insist on taking any form of transportation if it meant reaching their destination sooner. The fact that Lyon, a man with whom she'd had very few interactions, would? It made her heart flutter in an odd but not unwelcome way.

She let her gaze shift, analyzing the path ahead and the trees on both sides while still paying attention to the road behind them. They two walked in silence. It was uncomfortable, but not deathly so. A soft wind blew by, playing with y/n's hair and rustling leaves.

"What do you think about tattoos?"

Y/n turned to Lyon as he spoke suddenly. She blinked, momentarily caught off guard. Then she shrugged dismissively. "What about them?"

"Do you like them? Would you ever consider getting one?" He asked, his eyes trained on the road before them.

"I like them alright, as long as they're well thought through," she said after a moment's deliberation. "Not sure if I'd get another though,"

"You already have one?" He turned to her curiously. "What is it? Where is it?"

"I fail to see how that's any of your business,"

"I'm simply curious," he shrugged but didn't press any further. "Now you ask me one,"

"What?"

"Ask me a question," Lyon repeated. "About anything, I don't mind,"

"Oh... um," y/n's gaze flickered to the ground at her feet, her mind scrambling to come up with something. "If you could learn any other type of magic what would you want to learn?"

Lyon shook his head. "I am perfectly content being an ice-make wizard,"

Y/n gave him a quizzical look. "So even if you had the chance to choose another you wouldn't take it?"

"No, would you?"

"I mean, I kind of already can by taking another slayer's magic... But Celestial Spirit magic seems interesting," she mused a thoughtful frown pulling at her lips. "Requip is also quite appealing, but it's real tough,"

"You've tried to learn?"

"I did learn," y/n said. "But I can only keep so many things so I try to stick to the essentials, first aid supplies, food, water, maps... I have maybe a backpack's worth of stuff with me at all times,"

"Do you think if you practiced you'd be able to carry more?" Lyon asked.

"Probably but I don't think I'd want to," she replied, kicking a stone up and catching it in her hand. "I've got enough magic to deal with already,"

They contained on for a while. Chatting idly as they walked. They shared stories and laughs, joking with one another like they were old friends. Both surprised at just how easy it was to sit back with the other.

Lyon caught a playful punch without looking. He nodded down the hill upon which they stood to the battered-looking town that lay before them.

"We're here,"