24. I Put Out The Fire, Only To Light A Metaphoric One

I wrote most of this at 2am. Lol, I don't know what I'm doing.

~~~

It had been dry lately and the trees were brittle, meaning they were quick to burn. Smoke billowed up into the sky as the flames licked their way up the trees. The air was thick and the peaceful serenity of the forest was interrupted by the crackling of the flames.

"Y/n!" Lyon shouted from where he was still fighting the bandit's leader. While the woman had yet to land any serious blows she had also managed to evade most of his attacks.

"Yeah, I'm working on it!" Y/n snapped back, not taking her eyes off of the burning woods before her.

The flames were spreading quickly, alarmingly so. If she didn't act fast she could end up in serious trouble- a fine, potentially jail time. Wouldn't that be stupid? Going to jail for burning a forest down when she was guilty of doing so much more.

Y/n took a step back, regarding the roaring fire with care. She let her eyes flutter shut and focused on her magic, somewhat annoyed with herself for using it against the bandits. Had she not this would have been easier.

She drew in a deep breath, her shoulders rising and falling slowly as she concentrated on her magic. The feeling of it rushing through her body, her veins, her muscles, coursing through her, intertwining with her very soul. Her h/c hair began to float up around her as is she was submerged underwater. Her eyes snapped open.

"Water Dragon's Secret Art: Tsunami!"

Y/n raised her hands up and water appeared out of nowhere. It climbed up higher and higher until it breached the top of the trees. She slammed her hands forwards and the water followed, washing over the burning trees. She kept her hands out in front of her and the water kept going, a fierce, unforgiving torrent.

With a soft sigh, y/n let her hands fall to her side. Most of the water disappeared but some of it flowed back towards her, gathering around her fists and flooding around her feet. When the smoke and ash cleared y/n let out a breath of relief. The fire had been doused and then some.

She spun around at the sound of approaching footsteps hands raised.

"Don't do that to me," y/n hissed, fixing Lyon with a glare as all the water splashed to the ground at her feet.

"Don't set forest fires,"

"Touché," she said. "But hey! At least I can add another tally to my crime checklist, arson: 7,"

Lyon shook his head and rolled his eyes, a minute smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Let's go tell Vazquez we're done here,"

***

"You didn't have to see me back you know," y/n said, trying to shake away the lingering feeling of motion sickness.

"Now what kind of gentleman would I be if I let you return on your own?" Lyon asked. He offered her a hand, which she took with a moment's hesitation, and helped her off the train. The two fell in step as they walked down the streets of Magnolia.

Y/n snorted and nudged him playfully."You just wanted to spend more time with me and you know it,"

He didn't say anything and they continued in silence. He stared at y/n for a moment, watching her carefully. He felt free around her, in a way he'd never felt before. Like he could be whoever he wanted. All his scars all his mistakes, they didn't define him. They didn't matter. All that mattered was who he was at that moment. There was something about her that he couldn't quite explain but he found himself savouring in it.

"What?" y/n asked, realizing he'd been staring. "Is there something on my face?"

"No you're fine," Lyon shook his head, chuckling softly.