46. Absinthe Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Sorry, this took so long but this chapter is a doozie so I hope that makes up for it. For those who don't know, I have officially returned to work and school starts up soon. So I don't know how often I'll be able to write. And since kissanime has been taken down I no longer have means of watching Fairy Tail. So right now I'm not even sure if I can write.

Do you guys prefer these longer chapters or should I stick to 1 to 3k words?

And heads up this chapter is a bit all over the place and it's not formatted the best. But alas, 'tis what it is.

CONTENT WARNING: Drinking, drunk shenanigans, allusions to substance abuse and alcoholism (though brief and via a flashback of sorts).

~~~

The first thing y/n realized when her senses returned to her was the pain.

It started off as a dull pulse but it grew stronger and stronger, flashing along well-defined lines down her neck all the way to her toes. The agonies were strongest at her side and ankle, which drummed with heat, beating periodically. It felt like she was burning from the inside out. As if streams of fire coursed through her veins, igniting her every limb, her every fibre with pain.

She blinked open her eyes with a low groan. Her vision cleared and she jumped in shock at the closeness of a pair of dark eyes that stared down at her expectantly.

"You're awake!" Natsu cheered as he leapt onto the bed. He wrapped his arms tight around her, smothering her in a hug.

Y/n winced, bringing an arm up to pat him gently on the back. "Hey,"

"Get off her, you cunt," Porlyusica snapped, knocking the fire dragon to the floor. "You could have reopened her stitches!"

"It's-" y/n took a deep breath as she propped herself up on her elbows. "It's fine. I'm fine,"

"Do you have forty years of experience in the medical field?" The old lady asked.

"No?"

"Then I think I'll be the one to judge your condition, bitch,"

Y/n laughed, despite the sharp sting of pain the action brought with it. She loved Porlyusica. She thought the old woman was hilarious.

With her intense cynicism and sharp tongue, Porlyusica never failed to make y/n's day. She was done with everybody's shit and never tried to hide it. She had that I don't give I fuck if I hurt your feelings you insignificant motherfucker you are no more than a worm beneath my boot attitude that y/n had always aimed for.

Y/n sat up fully, leaning her head back against the wall. Her eyelids fluttered for a second as she yawned. The dark bags under her eyes were prominent as ever as she scanned the room.

It seemed as if the entirety of Teams A and B had piled into the infirmary. They let out a chorus of praise, Natsu lighting his fist on fire as he began to recreate his favourite parts of the match. Erza was quick to put an end to it, knocking him in the shoulder.

Y/n felt a warm feeling grow in her chest. She had been taught, from a young age that she was only needed as long as she was useful. She'd been conditioned into seeing loss as a weakness. And there was no room for weakness in the world.

She knew that it was foolish but emotions often overpower reason and y/n couldn't help but worry as to how the guild would handle her loss. Her anxiety had her convinced something bad was to come. But looking at the expressions upon their faces served to quell her nerves. The knot in her stomach slowly unravelled so that she could breathe fully.