42. The Blooming Capital

This is honestly one of my favourite chapters in a while. It jumps around quite a bit and the writing could be better in some places but, I still love it for whatever reason. Maybe because of the sheer quantity of character interactions in it. Either way, I hope y'all enjoy.

~~~

Y/n cracked her back with a tired sigh as she made her way down Crocus' cobbled streets.

The train ride to the capital had been long. Much longer than she'd expected and despite Wendy casting troia on her before they left, y/n was still feeling nauseous. Not to mention the way she'd been aching since Ultear had helped her release her second origin back on the beach. Her magic power felt stronger, sure, but the rest of her felt like she'd been crushed in a landslide.

She was pulled from her thoughts as she walked straight into Laxus who had stopped right before her. She took a couple of steps back, rubbing her nose with the back of her hand. "Sorry,"

He nodded, jaw locked as he turned to address the rest of Fairy Tail B, who stared at him expectantly. His eyes scanned their surroundings, hands stuffed in the pockets of his coat. "According to the rule book we need to be back at the inn for midnight,"

"Then we've got plenty of time, stop worrying!" Cana exclaimed drunkenly, slinging an arm over y/n's shoulder and taking a swig from her flask. "C'mon, let's go!"

"Just get back before midnight," Laxus muttered, leaving them to their own devices.

"We will," Mira promised, waving him goodbye. She turned to the others with a sweet smile. "So what're we gonna do?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Cana grinned, raising her hand to the sky. "We're going bar hopping!"

"Count me out," Gajeel stated, turning on his heel and marching away.

"I'm afraid that I won't be able to join you either," Juvia said with a polite smile. "I wish to explore the city, preferably in a sober state of mind,"

"Boo," Cana slurred, leaning heavily against y/n's side. "What about you babe?"

"I'm not sure," she murmured, casting her eyes down to the ground at her feet.

"Why not?" Mira asked.

Cana nodded animatedly. "Yeah! It'll be fun!"

Y/n sighed, raking a hand through her hair. "You know what? Sure,"

"Let's get shit faced!" Cana cheered, throwing her hands into the air in celebration. She dragged the h/c girl off, leaving Mira to trail behind.

***

The bar was humming with energy, everyone inside excited for the games to begin. People were drinking and celebrating, making friendly bets as to which guild would emerge victorious. It was as if the entire room was filled with life. But one person didn't share the enthusiasm.

Y/n sat at the bar, her shoulders pulled in close, head slouched as she stared down at the drink in her hand. Her eyes were dazed, unseeing as she swirled the liquor in her glass.

"You okay?" Mirajane asked, a concerned frown pulling at her lips.

They had been at the bar for a little over an hour and y/n had yet to even sample her drink. She had been tense since they stepped through the doors. To the point that some of the normal patrons took note, casting her odd glances as she walked past.

The second the bartender had placed her drink before her y/n had fallen into a state of near catatonia. She was completely unresponsive. Deaf and blind to everything but the glass before her. Her expression remained neutral, but her eyes were clouded with a myriad of emotions Mira couldn't even begin to identify.