53. The Dragons of Days Past- Uh... Present?

Full title because Wattpad's a little bitch and titles have a word limit:

The Dragons of Days Past- Uh... Present? Days Past Now Present? Whatever. Dragons. It's Dragons. Holy Shit, There are so Many Fucking Dragons.

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence, I was really struggling to figure out how to write this. But on the bright side, I was able to plan a lot for the future. So that's exciting.

Either way, here's a new chapter. It's quite a bit shorter than the last few. It would be longer but I wanted to get it out as quick as I could. This isn't edited as much as I would like, but, again, I wanted to get it out fast.

Enjoy!

~~~

The entirety of Crocus shook as another explosion rocked the earth. The noise blanketed the sound of y/n's footsteps, fast and thunderous as they were. Cobbled stones broke underfoot as she ran, gaining speed as a series of caterwauling wails and screams cut through the air. Civilians raced by to the outskirts of town, crying out for friends and loved ones. Mages shouted instructions, herding them through the streets to safety.

Y/n slowed to a complete stop and smelled the air, trying to catch the scent of the Blue Pegasus wizards. Master Mavis had been quick to send her off to help the other guild as there were no dragon slayers amidst their ranks. An unmistakable fragrance hit her like a freight train. Ichiya.

She coughed and let out a strong puff of air from her nose trying to clear the scent, but it held strong. She sneezed a couple of times, small elemental bursts firing from her mouth as she did.

She frowned into a cloud of silver frost as a low whistle rang out from above. She barely had time to register that it was the airborne dragon that dropped the volley of projectiles before she leapt out of the way. They hit the ground with a deafening crash and the earth seemed to shake from the force.

Y/n took a step towards the one nearest her. She reached out a hand, gently running her fingertips over its surface. It was smooth and cold, covered with shallow ridges and small bumps akin to those that raise one's hair in the presence of danger, suspense or the cold. It seemed to be made of metal, adamantine maybe.

"An egg?" She breathed, brows furrowing in confusion. She jerked back as the eggs began to break, thin cobweb-like fractures spreading across the metallic shell. "Please no."

The Fates did not listen to her prayer and the eggs surrounding her all burst open, revealing a swath of dragonoids. Their teeth and talons sharp, their hides gleaming silver.

The one nearest to her opened its maw and shrieked. An orb of glowing energy grew in the depths of its throat. The dragonoid released it in a column of magic and a grating screech rang through the night as it barreled towards y/n.

"Of course," y/n muttered as she weaved around the attack.

She rushed forwards and drew her arm back, her fist encased in ice. The dragonoid let out another shrill cry as she landed the blow. Its skull exploded and it dropped to the ground, finally silent.

Y/n took off sprinting, hoping that the dragonoids were too slow to keep up. The sound of heavy footsteps and metal slamming against rock echoed through the night. They were chasing her. Why wouldn't they?

She drew an arm back, a burst of ice magic rushing outwards. The ground beneath her pursuers becoming icy and rough. The first dragonoids fell into a disorganized heap. The others simply clamoured over their fallen brethren, using them as stepping stones to catch up to her.