Chapter One

Ten years ago

"Yo Traeger, my man's, how's it going? Wanna hang out later?" My friend Ben asks me after I get out of class.

"Nah man, my mom won't let me until my homework is done," I respond solemnly, shaking my head. He shakes his head and we walk out the front doors of the school and separate ways to our homes. Deciding to cut through the forest saving time, I hear rustling in the brush near me, but I ignore it.

"Why didn't you bring the runt to me, Jessika, I would've dealt with it myself," someone growls in a low gravelly voice.

"I don't know, sire. If you would only give me more-" a female squeaks out in a low voice.

"Sire she will not-," a second female voice begins.

"Silence! I will not have my subordinates disobey me. Not even my own daughter. I hereby sentence you to one week without a hunt, instead, you are to be hunted for the week in the nearby forestry," the male growls loudly. By this time I had snuck my way behind a tree and was spying on them. The man was at least seven and half foot tall, the first woman whose name was Jessika was kneeling on the ground in front of the man, she looked like she was around sixteen or seventeen, and the second woman whose name I couldn't catch looked around twelve cocks her head to the side and sniffs the air.

"I smell something," the second woman growls looking around. Hiding quickly behind the tree before she could see me I hold my breath lest they hear me breathing. "Smells like a human," she growls again, and the others transform into their respective wolves and start sniffing the air. I peek around the tree and gasp loudly and they all look my way. I feel something hot and liquidy run down my leg, one of them growls lowly and that snaps me out of my daze. I turn tail and start running as fast as I possibly can, hearing the wolves running after me. I risk a look back and see one snap their jaws at me.

I trip over a rock falling to the ground flipping onto my back. I scoot backwards until I hit a tree looking at the wolves surrounding me and closing in. One of them transforms back into a human, bones breaking and reshaping themselves, once done one of the women the nameless one kneels down and gives me a hard glare then sniffs me. I feel my bladder release its contents again.

One wolf snaps at me and the other licks its chops like it was staring at its next meal. The lady holds out a hand at the others then says, "forget what you seen here or we will eat you," then snaps her teeth at me making me yell in terror. She shifts again and nods her head to the side and walks off into the woods.

I get up and run the rest of the way home. "Mom! You won't believe what I seen on my way home today in the forest," I yell once I burst through the door.

"Oh honey, what did you see?" She said smiling in the kitchen making my after school snack.

"I seen a pack of wolves and they transformed into humans, and, and they were giants," I say excitedly to tell someone what I saw.

"Honey you know that that stuff ain't real right?" She chuckles handing me a plate with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on it.

"But I did see it mom," I reply looking down at the floor until I feel a soft hand lift up my head and see my mom smiling at me, then she says, "go change you stink,"

"Yes ma'am," I reply and run upstairs to take a shower and change.

"Sire, what about the human?" Jessika asks the male.

"What about him?" The man with a long scar from his brow to mid-cheek asks back.

"We let him walk away, he could've been our mid-day snack until dinner," Jessika answers the man.