Chapter Ten

Traeger

After I text Kyna I look up to see that the movie I'm watching with a sleeping Tess on one shoulder and another housemate of Cynthia's on the other. A small chuckle catches my attention, I look to my bedroom door to see Cynthia standing there smirking.

Arching a brow I say, "what? Wasn't having you and some others from your house watch movies here that way it wouldn't be awkward your idea,"

"Guilty as charged," she replies palms facing me, "but at least now I know that you make a really comfortable pillow," she laughs and I shift to get up, but a low moan from my left captures my attention and an arm from the other direction pins me to the bed.

"Fuck my ass..." I mutter to myself and look up at Cynthia who is walking over to my bed. "Any help here? Please," I try convincing her into helping get the two other girls off of me.

"Sorry, but no can do, seems like Tess and Bailey likes you as their pillow," she says smiling laying on her back, her hazel eyes looking up and locking on mine. She rolls over and puts her head on her hands and kicks her feet up crossing her feet and asks, "Where you from?"

"A small town in Massachusetts, moved here in 2015," I answer with a small smile remembering my hometown.

"Oh really? That's interesting," she replies smiling so sweetly that my teeth aches.

"Really? Why?" I blink confused by her response.

"Yeah, it's interesting because my dad was in JTF2 and served a joint operation with the Navy in Massachusetts specifically, and they used a base called Joint Base-"

"Joint Base Cape Cod in Buzzards Bay, right?" I ask she looks astonished to know that I know that and her smile falls away.

"Yes, how..." Eyeing me suspiciously.

"How did I know that? Because my grandpa is a veteran and lives there... Or did," I end solemnly and my eyes fall to my legs.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry, I didn't know..." She apologizes sitting up on her knees then cross legged right beneath my feet.

"Thanks, he died in his sleep, he had a brain tumor so big, it was the size of a baseball when he died. He never told me or my sister nor my parents when the doctors told him, he kept it to himself up to the day he died," I say not noticing my voice steadily rising, I feel something on the middle of my shin, I blink away tears and look up to see her left hand on my right shin. Looking up even more I see two tear streaks marking her cheeks, if I could move I would've comforted her to the best of my ability.

"I'm so incredibly sorry Trae, I wish there was something that I can do to help," she says sincerely, her watery eyes conveying her feelings making me feel horrible for telling her. As if she senses what I'm feeling she says, "don't feel regret for telling me, Traeger, I appreciate that you trust me enough to tell me that,"

I feel a tear roll down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away saying, "sorry I'm don't usually share this much with anyone,"

"No you're fine, don't be sorry you needed a person to listen and support you, whenever you're goin' through this stuff. I want you to know that I'm always here for you when you need me, I promise," she tells me.

"Thanks Cynthia, I really appreciate it," I say staring into her eyes at that moment I wanted nothing more but to kiss her, she must've been thinking the same thing because she got her hands and knees and crawls up to my face so close I can smell her strawberry scented breath.

"Anytime, Trae..." She says then leans in and plants a gentle yet firm kiss on my lips. Closing my eyes I would give anything to keep this blissful moment, but a yawn makes us break apart to see Tess looking at us with a small smile.