Chapter Eleven

Kyna

I look at his text again and again wanting so bad to text him back but I don't.

"C'mon Kyna just text him back what's the worst they can do?"

"I don't want to, but also I want to see if he's ok or not,"

Me: What did you want to talk to me about

I feel my heart leap into my throat after I send the text. I wait anxiously for a response, when an explosion captures my attention. Running to the window I look out to find a wall of flame spring up on the south side of the community, then I run downstairs and put the door.

"What the fuck's happening, George?" I ask one of my neighbors and he just shrugs and shakes his head. I sprint to Jessika's house and five yards away the house explodes throwing me backwards making me hit the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me. I feel warm tears start to stream down my cheeks, I take in a deep breath and start to scream until my lungs burn for air and my throat is raw.

A blur of movement out of the corner of my eye catches my attention someone running into the woods, I decide to give chase. Half shifting I start sprinting after them and by the smell their an elf. Once I catch up with them I bend on my hind legs and pounce on them landing on their back knocking the person to the ground.

Shifting back into a human I flip said person over see that it's a young woman, but that doesn't matter when she killed my best friend.

"Nice puppy," she stammers out and I growl salivating, drool dropping on her face.

"Who the fuck you calling a puppy?!" I snarl snapping my teeth at her making her bladder release when a putrid stench invades my nose. "Now you're gonna answer my questions, ok?"

"Please don't eat me if I do," she sobs tears streaming down her cheeks glistening in the moonlight.

"Like I'd ruin my pearly whites on some worthless elf worm like you, now question one why attack us?" I smell her bladder release again.

"The attack was to send a message," she squeaks her eyes pleading.

"A message for what?" I growl, saliva swinging from my lips and dripping from my teeth.

"I don't know, I'm just a runner," she cries.

"You know I can smell your fear and it's intoxicating. It makes me want to tear you to shreds and serve you as dinner at the next gathering," I snap my jaws close to her face to get the point across, the same strong stench as the last two times permeates up in my nostrils, signaling that she pissed herself again.

She audibly gulps then says, "the message was to make sure you didn't kill any other elves, and to make you wage war on each other's packs,"

"Who ordered you guys to do this? Lie to me and I'll crack your head open and see what color brains you have!" I say, my saliva flying everywhere.

"R'nukiz Skaler did, I don't know who else, that's all I know I swear," she says through tears. Of course Skaler would attack our pack, because he wants the woods for hunting and building houses, I growl just thinking why he would attack us.

"Alright you're free to go. Take a shower, and if you tell anyone about this, I'll make good on the threat that I made!" I snarl at the terrified woman getting off of her and let her go.

Turning around back to the small community and start to run back to them and try helping the survivors.

After we're done putting out the fires and helping everyone we have a gathering with the remaining elders. Every person is ranting and raving because of the attack except for me, one of the elders holds up their hands and silences everyone.

"Now as you may know there has been an attack on this community and we don't know who the culprits are yet, but we do have suspensions of one of the other packs or the elves," the elder says and at the last part the crowd has an uproar.

"Why would it be another pack?!" One man yells.

"Fuck the elves, fucking bastards!" A woman says.

"Why aren't we doing something about it!?" Another man yells.

With raised hands Aydin calms the crowd before there's a riot, "quiet, quiet, as you may know our pack has not been the nicest to the other packs or to the elves," the crowd roars again then is calmed, "but we have made a truce with the elves although it is a very fragile truce, but it's a truce nonetheless. They shouldn't have attacked us, maybe it was the humans,"

"How would the humans know about us?" A man asks and Aydin looks at him pointedly.

"Well poindexter, they have spotted us on occasion shifting out in the wild while they were hunting 'game'," Aydin scoffs the last word then continues, "the humans may know of our existence but any sane human won't believe the humans that say that they've seen us shifting in the wild,"

I decide to turn and walk away deciding to mourn Jessika's death alone. When I get into my room I pick up my phone and see that Trae texted me back.

Trae: I wanted to talk about that night...

Me: What night

Trae: Don't play the idiot card Kyna, you and I both know what night I'm talking about

Me: What do you want me to say Traeger?! That I liked it! That I loved having sex with you! That you were amazing! What the fuck do you want me to say!!!???

Trae: I just wanted to know how you felt about it Kyna! You don't have to be such a fucking bitch about it Jesus fucking Christ

Me: Me a bitch?! What no nvr! You know whose the little bitch here? It's you bc you can't even talk to my dad whenever you take me home! You're a goddamn coward, you know that!? I hope you fucking die the most slowest painful death possible! I fucking hate you!

I breath heavily like I just sprinted a marathon, feeling my rage fading replaced with exhaustion. I flop down onto my bed and close my eyes not expecting sleep to come, but hoping. After an hour of tossing and turning I finally drift off into a nightmare-induced sleep.