Chapter Fourteen: Meet The Girls

"So how long is that going to go on?" I asked as we walked down the hall together. It was so strange that not even a week ago I had to be escorted down this hallway by two armed guards, and now I walked down with my own free will, directly next to Negan himself.

"Until I've decided he's learned his lesson," Negan answered briefly, to which I scoffed.

"I think he learned his lesson when you made him shit his pants thinking you were going to kill him," I retorted.

"I was going to kill him," Negan said. I know that already.

"You say this like I wasn't well aware of the murder in your eyes," I rolled my own eyes at him. At that he stopped and turned to me, almost instantly backing me against the wall as I tried to imagine what he was going to do or say to me now.

"Lou, I know you don't want to marry me."

"What gave it away?" I faked a smile his way.

"But what you did saved that kids life. You should be proud of yourself for that," he said before continuing his way down the hall. I pushed my back off from against the wall and looked after him.

"I'm twenty one," I called after him and he turned back to me, confusion clear on his face.

"What?" He asked plainly.

"A while ago you asked me how old I was. I just turned twenty one... The day I tried to... you know," I made finger guns and aimed it at my head while making an explosion sound with my mouth. His eyes searched me for a moment, as if grasping what I was saying before he started chuckling.

"Damn, you are a baby," he said, rubbing his eyes as he did so, "I'm starting to rethink this whole marriage thing. How old were you when all this started? Two?" He asked sarcastically and I frowned.

"What? How old are you?" I asked. The only "older" features about him were a couple wrinkles around his eyes, laugh lines and his slightly salt and pepper beard.

"You do not want to know the answer to that, sweetheart," he said, continuing his walk down the hall and gesturing me to follow him with his fingers, which I did. I almost had to jog just to catch up with the man.

"I'm gonna be your wife today, I think I can know the age of my... soon to be husband," I said, trying not to become squeamish at the thought. I had been trying to repress it in all honesty, but it just kept coming back up.

"How about this, honey, after our wedding, we can have a nice dinner together, just you and me, and you can ask me anything you want," he said.

"That sounds like a similar concept as a prenup," I frowned and he laughed.

"I'm surprised you even know what that is," he huffed out.

"I wasn't a baby when walkers took over," I growled and went to stand in front of him, lifting my hands enough to push on his chest, "and I'm not a baby now, so stop treating me like one," I said as I pushed him. He barely even wobbled, but did take a step back as I glared at him. He looked me over and a small smirk tugged at his lips.

"Lou, I want you to meet the rest of my wives," he said, pushing past me to a door that was only a few steps behind me and knocking on it. My jaw gaped open as I turned to look at him, just as somebody opened the door. There stood the same woman I'd met before. At the sight of him, she seemed to stiffen, as if unsure what to do.

"Well good morning, Frankie," he smiled at her. She clearly forced a smile back before glancing at me. I couldn't help but notice her tight black dress that hugged her body, and wanted to grimace. Was that what I'd be demeaned to?

"Negan, to what do we owe the pleasure?" She asked, seemingly hesitant to allow either of us into the room. Funny behavior coming from his "consenting wife". Either way, Negan grabbed a hold of my upper arm and pushed me into the room, showing me exactly the kind of life I was going to be reduced to.

The room was pretty, don't get me wrong. It was similar to a lounge, with sofas and lots of decor. In fact it looked very similar to Negan's room, only there were women sitting around. They all looked stiff, just as Frankie had. There was also a small blonde who looked only a little older than me, and a woman with black hair and bangs. They all wore similar black dresses as Frankie.

"Girls, I'd like you all to meet Lou. She'll be joining you all in here in just a short while, but for now I was hoping you could all, you know, get to know each other. Maybe help her freshen up a bit, hm?" He hummed and the women all nodded in unison.

"Yes Negan," They all said softly. I couldn't watch this. I couldn't be here. I couldn't continue to be held by him knowing that this was what he did. I swiftly pulled my arm out of his grasp, finally drawing all their gazes to me.

"What the fuck is this, Negan?" I asked, anger bubbling to my surface. His head snapped in my direction, confusion and something else—something crazy—flashing through his eyes.

"Lou-"

"No, you want to talk about consent? Why do you have a brothel of women who are afraid of you? I mean, you seriously can't believe they love you or want to be here, can you?" I asked, backing away from him. I felt another hand on my shoulder and looked over to see the blonde had moved behind me.

"Come on, hon. Let's let Negan get back to his work. We'll get you cleaned up, okay?" She asked, a calm, collected tone in her voice, but something in her eyes was pleading me to give up this fight. I slowly felt my body relax as I looked back to Negan. I wasn't even angry anymore, I was...
I was a mix of emotions. Concerned, scared, hurt. I didn't say another word.

Whatever I was, the way Negan looked at me told me he could see it. He looked around at his wives and I watched a smile cross his face, only it wasn't his usual smile—not the wicked smile he'd wore when I offered to marry him. This smile was... softer. If I didn't know any better I'd say it almost looked sad. He held up a hand to wave at the girls surrounding me before leaving without so much as a "see you later", slamming the door behind him.

"You got a lot of damn gall, girl."