Epilogue

The loud thuds of boots could be heard stomping down the hallway of the Sanctuary. The girl and child's disappearance had yet to be discovered by the ruthless leader, even hours after the act. The woman in charge of the makeshift daycare didn't know how to approach the situation, or if he would truly care about one missing child.

His knuckles rapped on the door, first gently, creating a caring environment.

"Lou?" He asked through the door, waiting to be answered by a ghost of a woman who was long gone by now, "Lou, please open up. I just want to—We need to talk about this," he spoke once again. When he was met with silence, his first instinct was anger as he drew his fist back to bang on the door, creating a loud and clear message. When there was once again no response, the man drew back and lifted the heel of his boot, bringing it down roughly on the door handle. Metal clanged on the floor as it broke and the door swung open, revealing an empty room.

The large man stepped through the threshold, only to find what he'd so desperately hoped hadn't been the case. The girl—His girl—had left, with the window wide open, mesh gone, and nothing to hold her steady here. She'd left only a cold spot and an open Bible on the bed. When he stepped forward, reading the words on the page, he wanted nothing more than to destroy everything in his path, the room, the bed, the walls; he would've torn it all down. But instead, all he could do was fall to his knees in defeat.

Please, let us go.