Chapter Six: The End

After Wade took his toll on me, my entire body was bruised, but as Negan had asked, he'd mainly kept away from my face unless necessary.

Negan walked in with one of his men behind him to see us both laying on opposite sides of the room, wore out. Wade immediately stood and kneeled at the sight of his leader, but I just laid there. Negan appeared, seemingly upside down in my vision and I stared at him for a moment.

"Have you learned your lesson?" His voice sounded distant even though he was right in front of me. I gulped, but my throat was dry. I simply nodded. "Say it."

"I learned my fucking lesson." I muttered and he chuckled, kneeling down by me as if to get a closer look.

"Who do you serve?" He asked. I could've swore I felt something touching my hair... His hand? When I stayed quiet, he gripped my hair tight, causing me to wince a bit. "Who do you serve?"

"You," I breathed out, still utterly exhausted. He let go and stood, turning to his man, who once I got a better look at, I realized was Buck.

"You know where to take her. Get to it." He ordered. Buck walked over to me and wrapped his arms under mine, basically carrying me out of the room and back to my cell. He dropped me on the floor of the cell and I winced a bit as the door creaked and locked. I pulled myself back and onto my bed, reaching into my bag. I saw my dog tags and black fingerless leather gloves, along with the cassette tape. I smiled weakly at the only things that I cared about anymore and sighed. They reminded me of before this all happened.

I remembered something at the time. I was turning twenty one in less than a week.. At least, last I remember I was.

I heard the window open and looked up to see the same blue eyes from before. I guess he couldn't see me in the dark because I heard him whisper, "You there?"

"Yeah." I croaked out, putting my bag back and sliding off the bed to reach for the plate under it. I noticed something else glint in the light of the window and decided I would check it out after, standing up and walking to the window. "Can I ask a favor?"

I told him about my birthday and what I would've wanted and he thought about it. It would be risky to get it to me, but he said he would try. I knew what that meant, 'try'. He wouldn't be able to.

I went back to my bed to eat and once I was finished, I slid it under the bed and got down on my hands and knees to reach for the other thing. When I pulled it out from under the bed, my eyes widened. A gun. A gun with a single bullet in it...

I slid it back under the bed where I could get it again and climbed onto the bed again. Everything was aching and I was still bleeding as I laid, trying to get some sort of sleep.

I don't remember when I had fallen asleep, but I woke up to the door unlocking. I opened my eyes just enough to see Negan standing there.

"Come on, doll. Dr. Carson's gonna get you checked out." he said, walking over to me. I was surprised to find that his goons weren't there this time.

"Who the fuck is Dr. Carson?" I asked as he tried to get me to stand.

"The Sanctuary's doctor. Come on." he said, trying to wrap my arm around his neck. I wanted to pull away, but I was so tired and in pain that I just went with it. "You must've fought good." he added.

"Shut the fuck up." I muttered and to my surprise, he did. We soon got to a sort of doctors office and I raised an eyebrow at the mostly balding man who tensed up a bit when Negan and I walked in. "Carson?" I asked and he nodded, smiling weakly. Negan set me down on a table and I peered up at him.

"Fix her up, Doc. I want her to be able to walk on her own before the run tomorrow." Negan ordered and Dr. Carson nodded, his smile vanishing.

"Yes, sir." He said quietly, to which Negan smiled proudly. He then waved bye to me and walked out of the room. Dr. Carson walked up to me, looking over me as if trying to see if anything was broken, pressing on certain spots.

"What day is it?" I asked. He looked up and seemed to think about it for a moment.

"I believe... May 1st." he said after a moment and I breathed out a laugh, but stopped to wince at the pain.

"Worst birthday ever." I muttered and he gave me an apologetic look.

"Has he asked you yet?" He asked after a moment, walking away to get bandages and such.

"Asked what?" I asked and he looked over at me, glancing at my hand. I understood then.

"He must not have. Forget it."

"He asked me to marry him. Said it would get me out of this... I told him off." I said and Dr. Carson looked impressed and shocked. "I don't regret it either," he let out a soft chuckle at that.

"You remind me of my brother... he's also a stubborn one," he said and smiled at me.

"Your brother, is he..." I trailed off and he seemed to get the memo.

"Still alive? Yes. He doesn't stay here, though, Harlan and I split up our work between communities," he explained and I nodded in acknowledgment.

He fixed me up as Negan had asked. All I needed was some alcohol on the cuts and bandages. Apparently Wade had sprained my ankle when he pulled on it, so I needed to stay off of that. Negan came with some of his guys to get me back to the cell. They locked me in it and I huffed as I sat on my bed.

That's when I noticed that my bag had seemed to grow in size. I looked in it and smiled weakly and sadly as I saw what I had asked for. A simple old small boom box. I pulled it out along with the cassette tape, looking at the door as if making sure everyone was gone, even though I couldn't see through it.

I grabbed my gloves and put them on, then my dog tags on the necklace, putting them around my neck. I slid to the floor with the boom box and cassette tape in hands. I set the box down and reached under the bed to get the gun. I stared at it for a moment, really considering what I was about to commit.

I set the gun down on my lap to open the box where the tape was supposed to go. I slid it in and pressed it shut, turning it on. The beginning of "Renegade" by Styx began to play and I turned it up as loud as I could get it until it was blasting. If I was going to go out, it would not be boring, it would not be by Negan, his men, or walkers.

I picked up the gun with shaky hands. One round, just enough. I took it off of safety and cocked it, pointing the barrel under my chin and letting my eyes close as I got lost in the music.

I didn't even hear the door open.

The jig is up, the news is out.
They finally found me.
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty.
Never more to go astray,
This'll be the end today
Of the wanted man.

Bang!